I have had the recent revelation that I am a New Age Artist. The genre is known for it’s tranquil sounds and peaceful feelings. I’ve narrowed down which old works I want to keep, and found a vision for the future. I am more aware of my technical ability and boundaries than ever, and am composing at that level. My technical abilities aren’t for those that like to be dazzled by fast scales, but if you enjoy a strong melodic hook, please do listen. I felt the need to create a new thread on this similar topic because I am having a fresh start to my musical journey. You can listen to my youtube channel if you’d like, it’s linked below.
Thank you,
Nakulan
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUv3y1LKuZfwbOgBiV30dA/videos
I think your music is too melodic for such a slow bpm. Most people will have trouble retaining the melody over such a long period of time. Consider how Enya has great new age melodies and uses a much faster bpm to make them stick in the listener’s mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrk4X9ACtw
I listened to your songs at 2X speed and some of the melodies were catchy.
1 Like
Suzanne Ciani is an accomplished new age artist… who is quite a piano composer as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uno3PsztZM
Interestingly though… “new age” is not so new anymore…
Hope she inspires!
1 Like
55 minutes ago, StrictlyLogical said:
Suzanne Ciani is an accomplished new age artist… who is quite a piano composer as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uno3PsztZM
Interestingly though… “new age” is not so new anymore…
Hope she inspires!
Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing!
1 hour ago, MisterSwig said:
I think your music is too melodic for such a slow bpm. Most people will have trouble retaining the melody over such a long period of time. Consider how Enya has great new age melodies and uses a much faster bpm to make them stick in the listener’s mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTrk4X9ACtw
I listened to your songs at 2X speed and some of the melodies were catchy.
That’s an interesting take. I do like playing rather slow so it becomes more meditative, though, but I appreciate your comments.
And thanks to the both of you for listening! 
Thank you for listening and liking Dream_Weaver, I’m happy you enjoyed the rather eccentric piece.
The melodies flow well, but the accompaniment becomes ‘predictable’.
For the key of C, your left is going C E G C G E C E G C G E C, shift to F or G as a complement key and the left is going F A C F C A F, or G B D G D B G.
It was changed up in Cherry Blossoms, albeit only the structure of the chord, Yet it stayed the same from C to F to G.
C E G E, back to your starting C or F A C A, . . . or G B D B. . . .
The accompaniment should follow the melody, not distract from the melody by drawing attention to itself . . .
Carmel Popcorn was more eclectic in this regard, relative to these last two.
1 Like
2 hours ago, dream_weaver said:
The melodies flow well, but the accompaniment becomes ‘predictable’.
For the key of C, your left is going C E G C G E C E G C G E C, shift to F or G as a complement key and the left is going F A C F C A F, or G B D G D B G.
It was changed up in Cherry Blossoms, albeit only the structure of the chord, Yet it stayed the same from C to F to G.
C E G E, back to your starting C or F A C A, . . . or G B D B. . . .
The accompaniment should follow the melody, not distract from the melody by drawing attention to itself . . .
Carmel Popcorn was more eclectic in this regard, relative to these last two.
Yes, I agree Caramel Popcorn is the most interesting piece on my page. I thank you for your thought out assessment of my pieces, however, my target audience is the elderly in nursing homes, so more of my songs will be predictable and in line with Blossoms and Cake.
Everyone’s take is different. I played both Popcorn and Cake for my mom today, and she preferred Cake by far and said it’s one of my best.
2 hours ago, nakulanb said:
Everyone’s take is different.
Touche’.
I have heard, on good authority, an individual’s take is heavily influenced by their sense of life.
I’m sure, by now, your mom knows what she prefers.
1 Like
I thought you might like this one Dream_Weaver. It’s less predictable all around, which you have indicated as being a value to you!
There are different types of predictability. We do, after all, live in a causal universe. 
Your “Tangled Webs” melody had a stanza that repeated while the harmony played off it nicely with 3 or 4 chord changes.
Are you familiar with Parker changes? It is an identifiable pattern intended to support or background jazz improve by basically repeating it.
Spoiler
Music draws from the same set of notes. As repetitive as those notes may be, it is aspects like which particular notes, in what particular order, and in what durations, etc., that the fact that the same set of notes are being over and over fades into the background.
1 Like
I know the stanza you speak of, it is what I would call the part B section. I’m only familiar with those chord changes by ear and having heard lots of Jazz. I can understand what you are saying though!
Do you compose and/or play, you seem to know a lot about music!
In order to play trombone in the band at elementary school, a year of piano lessons were set by my folks as a prerequisite. That turned into about 5 years of lessons along with some music theory.
Apart from short ditty’s like these:
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKA8r6a4C0k
there are many songs that can played from memory. In the key of B flat, if the melody is known, it can be harmonized with more or less on the fly. Without a particular melody, some of my playing is more of a rambling, than a composition.
Listening to an informative classical music station helps as well.
Here’s a variation on Mozart’s “Ah! Vous Dirai-Je, Maman”.
Spoiler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUO3N08jRCg
1 Like
I didn’t realize I was watching videos of you.
For the Cherry Blossoms and Funnel Cake pieces of mine, I don’t understand your critique, could you elucidate it? It doesn’t seem like the progression is right.
You have very nice tone on the piano. The piece was very much a Blues progression!