I went to see it with a friend last night and highly enjoyed it.
I actually rather like stories where after watching or hearing or reading it the first time there is still a lot of analysis you can do. It can make the second or maybe even third time watching it as enjoyable as the first still because now you are watching it with an appreciation for seeing the ideas play out that you got later on and rechecking in some cases if you were right or if you missed something and if you missed something, you can watch it more than once and still get new stuff out of it.
Evidently, nobody else here at least got the same ideas I did about the ending. The top wobbled a little, but I’m pretty sure I recall earlier seeing a tiny bit of wobble in the top even when it didn’t eventually stop spinning. I already expected in that last scene though that it wasn’t going to stop spinning and seeing it happen was more like a confirmation to me of what I thought had happened. I also agree that the kids at the end looked suspiciously similar to how he kept dreaming about them. I’ll explain a little later why I already expected the top to keep spinning. Sorry this is going to be a bit long, it was much faster to explain this just speaking with my friend on the way out of the movie. I’ll underline the key points for fast reading since most of it is just the details that lead me to the conclusions I’ve drawn.
But first, I like the hypothesis about Ariadne actually trying to perform an inception on Cobb. It sounds at least a bit plausible to me because I definitely noted the relation between Ariadne and Cobb being a little suspicious in just how intent she is in following him around about finding out exactly what happened and addressing that issue. She really keeps on him about this right from the start until the very end though nobody else in the team, who has known about the issue all along, is nearly as concerned about it except in figuring out how to work around it. There is stuff like about how Ariadne seems to be trying to break into his dreams and get down into his “safe” sort of that one time while she goes into his dream without his permission and then tries to get down into the bottom level even when he tries to keep her out of there and when they wake up she asks about why he is doing what he is doing and when he says it is the only way he can still dream she asks him why he insists on dreaming still, with the basic answer being that it is because he’s sort of trying to keep Mal “alive” in his dreams. His feelings of guilt are manifesting this projection of her that in the dreams just keeps trying over and over and over to kill him, her being a manifestation of his own guilty feelings though, it’s really like he is being eaten up and consumed by his guilt, it is working on killing him basically. Additionally, it did seem rather quick that Cobb’s dad caved in and came up with what he knew was an even better architect than Cobb had been. Furthermore, somebody mentioned that nobody but Cobb though inception could be done, but that I know isn’t true since though most people thought it couldn’t be done, that one guy they met later on did think it could be done unlike most of the others, just that doing it may require being unusually creative to accomplish it. This line from Zsorenson, “Plus, funny you should claim Minotaur’s labrynth as a shout out to Batman - maybe true - but keep in mind that Ariadne led Theseus(right?) out of the Labrynth in mythology” would also seem to point toward her being there to help get him out of his mental mess. (I thought that circle maze looked familiar from some place.)
Now about the time line and ending. The spinning top totem thing I agree is questionable in some aspects. True, if that is his totem, he should be paying better attention to it in the end even if he is still pretty sure he is not dreaming if he was unsure enough to need to spin it even in the first place. I don’t recall anything about him having a different totem being mentioned though and even if you are supposed to infer it based on actions, I don’t think it is the case you aren’t supposed to let anybody else even know what it is, since that one guy showed Ariadne his loaded die too. He just wouldn’t let her touch it because the feel of it, the weight distribution, was part of what really made it hard for somebody else to fake. They specifically mention weight as one of the things to factor into a totem I’m pretty sure I recall hearing mentioned. What really struck me as odd though about that totem of the top was 1) why that top in particular would keep on spinning and spinning indefinitely in a dream, anybody’s dream and 2) that he was using a totem which had been Mal’s. That he was using what had been her totem seemed to me like it could almost be suspicious if all along he could actually been in a dream of hers, maybe she never even really died and that was just a dream, because she would know how to mess with that totem. So, the spinning top is suspicious somewhat to me. However, since I’m not convinced yet he actually did have another totem or that the ending actually implies the top stops spinning, I’ll move on to my next point assuming that the top is spinning and is what headsmen relying on seriously to know if he was dreaming or not.
Do you all recall when he goes into the dream place with the Asian guy at the end (by the way, I am going to admit I didn’t really remember much of any characters’ names except Mal and Cobb, I only remember Ariadne now because I saw other people put it up here)? It looks like the dream place he went into with him from the start. And how he reacts when he is sitting in front of the old man there too. I asked my friend to double check on it and she said she is pretty sure the Asian guy looked old at the very start of the movie too. And remember how when they meet at the start the man says he saw somebody with that top before long ago? Totems aren’t all the same as we can see, so how do you think he knew it was his totem? And do you remember at the start of the movie he asks if Cobb has come there to kill him? I’m less sure of this off the top of my head, but the cliffs at the very start of the movie when he has washed up, were they that kind of crumbly looking sort too? Remember one of the things they point out a few times in the movie is that one of the best ways to tell if something is a dream is to ask yourself how you got where you are since you seem to always start in the middle of things in dreams? Well, we’re given some vague information about him having to take shady jobs since he went on the lam, but nothing is explained about exactly what Cobb is trying to get from the Asian guy and we’re even told there is some key piece of info that the Asian guy hides even among the pares in the safe which he somehow knew how to protect, like the Fischer kid somehow knew how to protect himself somewhat too. We don’t really know why exactly he was poking around inside the Asian guy’s dreams, what he wanted to steal from him. The point I’m trying to get to is, I think he and maybe the Asian guy too, may have gotten stuck in a loop (everybody else seems to have gotten out.) He may be dreaming a series of dreams going from level to level, dream to dream in a continuous pattern. It may actually all be in his dreams since they already showed with the Fischer kid that they could trick people into believing they are going into somebody else’s dream when it is actually their own dream. Though the totems are definitely a good idea and they seem reliable if used properly, I’ve already explained some of what seemed like it may be messed up with his own totem he has been using so it may seem sometimes like his totem showed he was awake when he wasn’t . Furthermore, it seemed like other people in his team knew how his totem worked and what it looked like and he wasn’t the only one to ever use it and the Asian guy right from the start of the movie actually got it from him and started messing with it claiming he knew about it (though if he only ever gets a hold of it in a dream that may not give him too much info about its actual weight, though if this is Cobb’s dream in fact, Cobb may be giving it the proper weight and all in the dream, so maybe it could be relevant.) Another thing about the loop idea is that somebody mentioned, I think in the first post, that Cobb and the Asian guy commit suicide together, but that is never shown, you cut away from what goes on there pretty shortly into things.
When I brought up to my friend that I thought it looked like he was stuck in a loop and that I already expected the top was not going to stop spinning at the end before they zoomed in on it and this looked to be true and mentioned how the start of the movie seemed to start in the middle of stuff which was never well explained how they got there like in a dream, my friend brought up how then the Asian guy himself seems to just end up providing a convenient way to get into doing that inception business. This combined with the part about that specifically withheld, blacked out part of the information in the Asian man’s safe and how well the Asian man protects it make me think that if the thing about them trying to perform an inception on Cobb is true, then the Asian man was likely in on it. The hidden information may have been him well protecting from Cobb the fact that they were trying to perform the inception on him. With how highly defended the Fischer kid is, I half wonder if maybe he was in on it too, maybe even the whole team was and the only one who didn’t know was Cobb himself. The idea that the personal exploration on Cobb’s problem was much more central to what was going on intrigues me largely because while watching it I thought to myself that just having the inception performed on this random kid and a long since dead woman seemed like it just wasn’t enough for having the title of the move be “Inception.”
So, this interests me because my idea now may be that how things started were perhaps as follows: 1) an attempt, maybe hired by the father of Cobb, to perform an inception on Cobb so he could get back to his life, but 2) something went wrong as we see in the movie with interference getting the Asian guy shot who is supposed to fix the legal troubles, and then 3) they go further into Cobb’s dream and reach limbo where, because they are in Cobb’s dream world still, we see the crumbling cliffs of stuff that Cobb and Mal had made in their years and years and the Asian guy in all his time there built up that building we see Cobb go in at the beginning and near the end. 4) While there, the Asian guy kind of starts to get used to it after a while like Mal did and so he offers some resistance at first to the idea of being woken up, so shifting from one layer of dream to the next when things are going wrong again, 5) Cobb and the Asian guy both start to forget that they have cycled through this before and how much has gone on, so, the Asian guy is back to looking younger in the next phase of the dream because he forgot how much time had seemed to pass to him and Cobb loses that sense he had of what had happened and what he’d really been there to get the Asian guy for - to wake him up and so now 6) he, Cobb, thinks he was just doing another normal job with that guy like he has done so many other generic shady jobs and the Asian guy goes back to thinking he’s still got to go about setting up the inception, and then the two of them together influence the dream to have the same events end up playing out all over again with the other team members no longer being actual people, but more dream projections . Now, what was the end scene then with them back on the plane and then him seeing the kids again? Another dream inside the dream loop because there are times we see in the movie where he is dreaming and we don’t see what the dream was. He may have in that dream thought he’d finished saving the Asian guy and thus completed the loop and so not stopped to watch the top stop and perhaps only spun it as a sort of “This is so great, I must be dreaming!” type thing, not actually believing he was dreaming, but then later he would find the top spinning, realized he was still dreaming, then went back to work in the loop.