Introducing myself

Well i’ve been ghosting around here a little bit latley finally took the plung decided to join the horde. I’m 22 years old I live in Utah I attend collage seeking a double major in English (wich you wont guess from my many spelling and grammer errors) and Political Science. Eventually I plan to attend Law school. I’m not too sure i agree with every aspect of objectivism, but i’m interested enough to take a closer look at it. I come from a very strong conservative background, and maybe thats why some of my views differ and some are harmonious with objectivism. My faith is the most important thing to me, and Yes I am a Mormon. Anyway i will porbably just glean from you guys, most of the time but if i do get pulled into a conversation let me just say now that I am very passionate about some of my views and beliefs and I think i sometimes cause offence, i hope it doesn’t happen but if it does let me know and i’ll try to tone it down. Anyway look forward to reading the various posts and interacting with an openminded community.

Welcome to the Forum.

I suppose you know that Objectivism is an atheistic philosophy.

As background, it would help to know what Rand books you have read.

I do, hence the clash with some points of the doctrine

I am very passionate about some of my views and beliefs … open-minded community

Welcome to the forum!

It’s okay to be passionate about your views so long as 1) your passion doesn’t blind you to facts of reality, and 2) your passion does not lead you to attack other poster’s. Arguing your position is fine, attacking or arguing about your opponent is not fine.

This forum focuses on the discussions about Objectivism so I hope that your interest here lies in learning about that topic.

As to open-mindedness, I think people here are open-minded to facts and reality. What they will not be open-minded to is “beliefs”, particularly those based on mysticism.

Though my response to your introduction may seem blunt, it’s important to walk into this forum understanding some of those things in order to maximize the value you can obtain here, or perhaps realize that there may not be value for you here. I hope for the former.

I attend collage

  1. your passion does not lead you to attack other poster’s.

I don’t think this fine collage-attending gentleman will have any problems with your posters, Vern.

Ba-dum tish!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist after seeing those two errors together. :lol:

Welcome to the forum. I do hope that you take the time to read through the posts here, I am sure that if you do you will learn a thing or two.

Your name is remarkably similar to teh name of a character from the Sword of Truth book series. Coincedence?

I come from a very strong conservative background, and maybe thats why some of my views differ and some are harmonious with objectivism. My faith is the most important thing to me

Leaving aside abortion and atheism, what aspects of Objectivism do you feel are most in conflict with your faith?

Welcome to the forum, Richard :dough: I am sure you will have great time here.

Your name is remarkably similar to teh name of a character from the Sword of Truth book series. Coincedence?

(sic.)

Welcome to the forum, Richard :wink:

Someone thinks not :lol: