Hello everyone,
(Note to readers: if you are in a hurry, just skip to the questions in bold)
Let me start by saying why I am bringing up this topic. I was watching True Detective (season 1) and was intrigued by the views the main character had on life. He seemed to have a very pessimist view of existence, something opposed to the “benevolent universe” idea. After searching the internet, I found that the character`s views were based on a book called “The Conspiracy Against the Human Race” by Thomas Ligotti.
The idea of the book is basically that evolution has granted men with consciousness, which makes us aware of the certainty that we are going to die. According to Ligotti, consciousness produce a sense of “cosmic panic”, as men comes to understand that he is just a physical being, that his own existence is linked to the survival of that organism, and that this organism is slowly deteriorating itself and coming closer to death. He goes on saying that men, specially children and young adults, have the illusion that they are immortal, and that as they get older, inevitable suffering awaits them as they approach the inevitable end of their lives.
Additionally, Ligotti believes that its cruel to reproduce and put children into this world, because of the reasons stated above.
I am still young, and have never felt any suffering from the knowledge that I am going to die. But when I think about it, however, it makes me sad. My grandfather is currently struggling with cancer at 81 years old, and I can see from his face that he is desperate and afraid to die. All his friends died during the last decade, slowly one by one.
So, the question actually is: Is it moral to decide to end one`s life (commit suicide) in order to prevent the inevitable suffering that comes as you get older, with the knowledge that you, and people you care about, are going to die?
Now, please read this excerpt from OPAR, by Leonard Peikoff, in order to better understand my next question:
Existence exists. The “realm of non-existence,” if one wants to use such a term, is not a competitor to reality, as General Motors is to Ford, with some kind of advantages to be considered and weighed. The “realm of non-existence” is nothing; _it isn’t. _Since only existence exists, _it _is the fundamental starting point in every branch of philosophy.
Metaphysically, one cannot go outside the realm of existence—e.g., by asking for its cause.
Epistemologically, one cannot employ the faculty of reason in such a quest—e.g., by asking for the “reason” why, in coming to conclusions, one should accept the realm of reality. This would be an attempt, futile on its face, to engage in reasoning while standing outside existence. The attempt is futile because reason cannot be neutral in this kind of issue, not even provisionally or momentarily; reason is the faculty of knowing that which is. A “reason” detached from reality, with no special allegiance to that which is, “impartial” and “unbiased” as between reality and unreality, would not be a cognitive faculty.
The same principle applies in regard to evaluation. Here, too, reality is the starting point, and one cannot engage in debates about why one should prefer it—to nothing. Nor can one ask for some more basic value the pursuit of which validates the decision to remain in reality. The commitment to remain in the realm of that which is is precisely what cannot be debated; because all debate (and all validation) takes place within that realm and rests on that commitment. About every concrete within the universe and about every human evaluation of these, one can in some context ask questions or demand proofs. In regard to the sum of reality as such, however, there is nothing to do but grasp: _it _is—and then, if the fundamental alternative confronts one, bow one’s head in a silent “amen,” amounting to the words: “This is where I shall fight to stay.”
Life has ups and downs. Some people suffer more than others. I am not from the United States, and I have seen what life is like for the great majority of people in third world countries. Most live in great proverty and life is a struggle just to remain alive.
On that basis, I dont see why the option to decide to end ones life in order to prevent suffering or avoid the struggle, is not moral. What are your views on this?
PS. Just to clarify, I am very happy and NOT considering suicide. I just want to understand these issues better.