I had a midterm essay in my Film and the Law class returned to me this week. The professor said to me, “It was a great essay, but… Ann Rind!!!” (Yes, that’s how she pronounced it.) The sentence ended with her holding her jaw low in a gaping gesture. I won’t present my entire essay but it was a comparison of the films “Twelve Angry Men” and “To Kill A Mockingbird” with regards to the search for the truth. here are her comments along with the excerpt from my essay to which they apply. (I transcribed her handwriting exactly and some of it was difficult to read.)
In both these films, the respect for truth is a key theme presented.
? or eritical process. suspension of judgement until all facts of the problem are evaluated.
Skepticism is the opposite of that act. It is not an act of defining truth, but in wiping it out?
[underlined “wiping it out” and wrote a question mark.]
“Nothing can alter the truth and nothing can take precedence over that act of perceiving it” (Rand, 1957).
But the position from which one views the facts can alter the conclusions drawn, e.g. the 5 blind men describing an elephant.
Contradictions cannot exist in reality.
? Can something be both a wave and a particle?
At the conclusion of the essay, she wrote:
Most interesting argument. I think Rand’s concepts tend to the superman argued by Nictzche. The question of what is truth doesn’t necessarily have one clear, concise answer. What happens in sociological studies is that the group consensus regarding a problem is almost always better than a single individual’s. As we see in Twelve Angry Men, one individual who questions and is skeptical can move the group. Good Essay! It was fun to read.
Now do I really need to point out how that last part contained a sentence which contradicted itself and proved my point for me?
I am considering emailing a response to these comments just to educate her on Rand’s philosophy since it seems pretty obvious she has a very shallow understanding and likely has never directly read Rand. Any further counter-arguments are appreciated. I especially want to address this Nictzche comparason since I have heard it before, but I have never read Nictzche so I wouldn’t know how to directly address it.