What about a method of escape much like the method of escape that was actually used in the book - just used earlier?
Good question, and the answer probably has something to do with the needs of the story. I mean, Rand could have had all the antagonists killed when Stadler’s sonic bomb went off. She could have ended the story right after Galt’s speech, having wrapped up all the other plotlines ahead of time. But she chose otherwise.
I haven’t read Rand’s major works on the art of fiction - only the off-the-shelf introduction sold in retail - but I imagine there are many clues to the answers you seek there. I can only guess at this point.
I assume that, among other reasons, she had Galt captured and tortured to demonstrate how far a Man goes to defend his life, his choices and freedom … his values. Furthermore, it demostrates the lengths to which the looters will go to pillage the product of someone else’s mind - they’d rather engage in sadism than think.
I think a lot of this is plot-device-oriented (after all, what more glaring an example of military patriotism could be provided than having the main character of a war story captured and tortured by the enemy?), but Rand never wrote anything without a good reason for it, so I’m sure there are far better explanations than mine available.
What I was suggesting is Galt lying to the authorities who were holding him under a gun, writing some bogus policies that would do nothing but accelerate the inevitable destruction of the world and then as soon as someone’s back was turned, to escape.
Those “bogus policies” would have been enforced by the government at the point of a gun. While the rest of the nation may not have been especially moral or rational, there’s no moral or rational justification for making someone do anything at the point of a gun, regardless of long-term or short-term intent.
I am talking about using a lie as force in retaliation.
Given the context of the story, the consequences of that action (while potentially moral) may have done more harm than good. We’ll never really know, of course. Rand may have considered that option, but may have devised a better way to make her point, end a story arc appropriately, or simply preserve the consistency of Galt’s character. He wasn’t a sneaky man, someone who used manipulation to defend himself from harm - he faced it head on, as is the most heroic way to challenge an obstacle., even personal injury and threat of death.
… and that’s about all I can offer. I need to read AS again … it’s been a while. :yarr: