It’s always disappointing when you find out that someone who is an advocate of free markets is a moral relativist. Walter Williams made it clear in one of his recent columns that this is the position he subscribes to. I was tempted to write to him and point out that the relativism he espouses undercuts, rather than supports, his political views.
Being a member of the Libertarian Party, I would probably have to agree. I have been greatly disillusioned by the LP in general.
Though the LP was basically what brought me to the freedom movement in general, it was Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, as well as Rand’s great philosophical works, that gave me the moral backbone I needed to make a strong argument for capitalism.
Heck, I’ve run across nihilists in the Libertarian Party – NIHILISTS. Its obvious that they are in it for a pragmatic argument that free markets produce the best, but in the process of hearing their pragmatic arguments, I find that they are more than willing to sacrifice ideas that have a strictly moral basis but not the most immediate or obvious pragmatic one. The first one that comes to mind is intellectual property rights – many a pragmatic libertarian has decided to turn against those, without realizing (or even caring) that he has sacrificed the very basis for rights in general by doing so, and for that matter the only existent pragmatic understanding for the source of all wealth.
Even among those libertarians who are not nihilists, I find a very simplified philosophy that remains almost entirely ground in the political without realizing the necessary steps to determine the political. When I first recognized the non-aggression principle intuitively, it wasn’t something I could just allow to end there – I was driven to find out why even it would be relevant. It isn’t enough just to intuit these things. Though most of them would say that they believe aggression, defined as the initiation of force or fraud, or threats of force or fraud, are morally actionable by Government, they seem to have absolutely no idea how they arrived at that conclusion, and so they have no real idea on how to defend it.
Just to demonstrate by reason of example, when a heckler came to a libertarian list, he asked the list members to explain why he should care about the political non-aggression principle at all, and what root in ethics it could possibly have. After watching the list members stumble over themselves trying to answer the question, I decided to step up and said the following:
I don’t know about the term ‘aggression.’ I am afraid to use that term on this list because it means so many things to do so many different libertarians, but by my definition of aggression, which I feel is the only objective definition, it certainly is something to be dealt with by law. The nature of law dictates that it is only justifiable in assisting man to live qua man, hence it must be designed so that each person can live their proper human life without interference from other people, according to his nature as a rational animal (or rather, THE only kind of rational animal, as far as we know). This means (here comes the Objectivism) that they must be allowed to freely use their senses and their power of reason in all their dealings with other people.
Initiation of Force: Must be barred because it effectively shuts down the influence that the victim’s faculty of reason has over their actions.
Initiation of Fraud: Must be barred because the value of reason is gutted if the sensory inputs are corrupted – in other words, if someone provides false information to influence your decisions.
Threats Thereof: must be barred because either they are are intended to prevent you from doing something you have every right to do in normal circumstances because of a consequence artificially imposed on you by another individual or individuals, or they are a forewarning of a conspiracy to harm you regardless of your actions.
Please note that in all three of these cases, it is only the initiation of force or fraud, or threats of such initiation, and not defensive force or fraud, or threats thereof, that must be banned. Force and fraud itself, and threats thereof, are perfectly justifiable within reason as a response for self-protection.
You might still have an objection, but its not one that can be cleared up in a single posting, and will probably be more a discussion on the nature of morality than the nature of law – in Objectivism, ethics is defined first, and then law. Not all things that are unethical are bannable in law, only those things that interfere with another individual’s ability to live his life on the same terms. Before we could reasonably get into a discussion on the ethics proper to the nature of man, we’d have to get into a discussion on the nature of man, which would even further require us to get into the nature of reality (metaphysics) and the nature of how human beings grasp reality in the form of knowledge (epistemology), otherwise all such observations could be rejected on a whim. I am not opposed to getting into this discussion, but I find that many libertarians who do not have their root in Objectivism are wary of taking such discussions seriously. If we disagree on those fundamentals, we’ll have to hash those out first, because everything else is meaningless without that basis.
So tell me, what is your definition of “is”?
This extremely simple, and to my mind, obvious response to the original poster received a LOT of criticism from the Libertarians and libertarians on that list.
Even given all of that though, I find myself unable to leave the LP in general, at least so long as I choose to stay in politics, which I believe at this time is absolutely necessary to effect some change. I can’t imagine going back to the Republican Party, as I find conservative ideology to be overtly repugnant, and completely wrong for the same reason as it is for the consequentialist libertarians – a complete lack of ability in defending capitalism from a moral perspective, and these days a complete lack of understanding on what capitalism is in the first place. The democratic and green parties are simply unacceptable alternatives to me. Perhaps some Objectivists will criticize me for that, but I hope they’ll at least look to Rand’s own friendships and support of Presidents like Ford, who are obviously not as far along as Libertarians tend to be, before they choose to make such criticisms.