I have some additional thoughts on business models.
First, to clarify, I thought the original context of the question was that a small business owner could outcompete Wal-Mart on the basis of either being willing to take home less money, or on the basis that he can find odd lots cheaply. I believe I debunked both of those theories.
I think the focus of the discussion switched to how such mega-successful companies got started. The premise was that they “obviously” started small. While I think this may have been true for Wal-Mart, I think it’s less true for Microsoft, and not true at all for a number of household names today, such as Google.
Today, especially in technology industries, there is venture capital available. If the nature of one’s business plan requires that one’s company begin with national scale, then one simply seeks out a sufficient equity investment to enable this. One may fail, of course, but not due to the economics of scale, or lack thereof.
Another thread in the conversation addresses large, inefficient companies. My favorite, of course, are the operators of the telephone network. I agree that size does not grant one immunity to competition, even from startups. Nevertheless, while there are few companies that are both so large and so inefficient as the Bells, I think that a startup would have a very very hard time trying to take them on directly. In fact, several years ago in the bubble years, a number of companies (yes, with venture funding) tried. The CLECs (as they were called “competitive local exchange carriers” and opposed to ILECs “incumbent local exchange carriers”) all failed. I do not know of one who succeeded.
Today, “Voice Over IP” is a hot sector. The dynamics of the industry are different, and the play is different. These companies are mostly trying to offer a hosted IP service that connects to the telephone system just enough to have a phone number which is callable from regular old phones.
They have a sustainable economic advantage over the ILECs, unlike the CLECs of the late 1990’s. (They also have a sunset business, which they don’t realize yet–but this is a topic for another day).
I agree that there are many cases where old companies become fat and lazy and dumb. In such cases, a more able competitor can beat them directly.
But I would hesitate to make this the first or primary point in a generalized business discussion that young entrepeneurs may take to heart. The sort of opportunity to take down a Ward’s or Ford or IBM is for a team composed of seasoned industry veterans.
The take-home for a young, aggressive, smart would-be entrepeneur is to look for a new niche that he can win. Find a place where the existing companies can’t go. This may be because it’s too small for them (Paper Tiger?), too radical for them (DiamondWare?) or because they just aren’t structured to get into the new business. An example of the latter could be based on most companies’ desires not to eat their own lunch, such as the railroads not wanting to offer airline service.
Don’t go and start a word processing company because Microsoft is much fatter and slower than it was 10 years ago. That’s true, they are, but you still won’t beat Word.