Objectivist Bands

Yes, I think Iron and Wine did a cover for the movie Garden State. I don’t mind Iron and Wine, but I don’t like their cover of the song as much as the original. The pure, childlike optimism is gone replaced by something more melancholy.

I love Postal Service.

However, I dont think that a band is automatically sad if it has sad lyrics etc. I like alot of non-objectivist music. I think that the music is much more important than the lyrics. Really thats all I like about each band.

Try Azure Ray, Bright Eyes, or Death Cab for Cutie (just another band by the same people in postal service), also Coheed and Cambria copies alot of Rush styles, so maybe you should try them.

Yeah, I’ve been meaning to get that. How is it?

It’s really good. I usually don’t listen to softer alt rock in the car (favoring bands like Muse, Idlewild, Smile Empty Soul, etc that are a bit louder), but this CD is an exception. It starts with a brisk pace, shorter catchy songs and then you hit the meat of the disc with Spitting Games and Run. The CD stays strong with a couple awesome songs in terms of vocals. As a bonus, it was only $8.99 in my local shop.

Yeah, Death Cab and Coheed rock, but I’ll have to check out the other two.

Toolboxnj: Do you like Thursday or Senses Fail, if you don’t already know about them, they are both really good harder bands.

The Killers are also one of my favorite bands. From their debut album, Mr. Brightside and Smile Like You Mean It.

Also, I just revisited The Starting Line and they seem to have a fairly good sense of life.

BTW: Do you think we should start a new thread for just plain music (like the movies one) or just talk about all kinds within this one? I keep finding myself wanting to share bands that have nothing to do with Objectivism, plus I would like to hear about other bands even if they don’t have to do with O’ism.

Zak

Toolboxnj: Do you like Thursday or Senses Fail, if you don’t already know about them, they are both really good harder bands.

The Killers are also one of my favorite bands. From their debut album, Mr. Brightside and Smile Like You Mean It.

Also, I just revisited The Starting Line and they seem to have a fairly good sense of life.

I LOVE THURSDAY! I’ve seen them twice and both times they were super wonderful.

I like “Mr. Brightside” off The Killers’ album but I didn’t quite understand their first single (“Somebody told me you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year…”).

Also, I have The Starting Line’s debut album and I like it as well.

BTW: Do you think we should start a new thread for just plain music (like the movies one) or just talk about all kinds within this one? I keep finding myself wanting to share bands that have nothing to do with Objectivism, plus I would like to hear about other bands even if they don’t have to do with O’ism.

Zak

There have been several other threads discussing Objectivist music but since we’ve already got this one going and we’ve been doing it anyway, we might as well keep talking about bands. :slight_smile:

BTW, it seems you have about the same musical tastes as me. Have you heard Flogging Molly? Very awesome and very different.

Toolboxnj: Do you like Thursday or Senses Fail, if you don’t already know about them, they are both really good harder bands.

The Killers are also one of my favorite bands. From their debut album, Mr. Brightside and Smile Like You Mean It.

I’ve never heard of those two. If it’s good driving music, I’ll surely give it a listen. I drive about 70 miles a day, so music makes the ride more enjoyable.

From what I’ve heard I really enjoy The Killers. On XM they give em good airtime, so whenever the reciever finds one of their songs I give it a good listen. We could all relate to Mr. Brightside, eh? :ninja:

Thoyd, my sentiments exactly. Also, don’t forget Guns N’ Roses and Skid Row. Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach are the two best frontmen/vocalists of all-time.

Whatsup guys?

Here are some things I’m listening to.

  1. My Chemical Romance. If you like Coheed and Camrbia…you HAVE to check out MCR. They are AWESOME. In pop-punk the dominating trend is to go for effeminate vocals (read AFI, Coheed, MCR, The Used). MCR is no different, but they have their own unique spin on it.

I seriously recommend downloading or listening to “The Ghost of You”.

If you wanna get a listen, IM me over AIM. My screename is “Tryptonique.”

  1. AFI/The Used (two really great bands).

AFI has been around for forever and they have really really great material. I recommend buying the album “Sing the Sorrow” “Black Sails in the Sunset” or “The Art of Drowning.”

The Used has GREAT material. I recommend the following from them:

“The Taste of Ink”

“Noise and Kisses”

“Blue and Yellow”

“The Poet.”

  1. Julien-K

You can listen to a demo of one of their songs from their upcoming album here: http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactio…20041210190021)) .

This band is awesome! It is a side project of two Orgy members (Amir Derakh and Ryan Shuck).

Amir is soooo cool. The dude designs guitars for Jackson and Yamaha. He has a degree in producing from UCLA and has been in the music business for 20 years. He is also an incredible pioneer in modern guitar for his use of the G-Synth in rock recording.

Julien-K is an electronica/dance/club and rock hybrid that is definitely worth a look.

I happened to meet both Amir and Ryan after an Orgy show and they are really fun to chat with. Amir even hooked me up with a JK button and I was quite pleased:).

  1. Cold.

I LOVE this band. They are incredibly dark lyrically, but their music is really really well put together. In fact, Rivers Cuomo (lead singer of Weezer) is a big fan of Cold and even worked on “Stupid Girl” which was their big hit from “Year of the Spider” (their third album).

“13 Ways to Bleed Onstage” and “Year of the Spider” are both two of my favorite albums to come out in the last couple of years.

The recently did a song for Psi-Ops..a Playstation 2 videogame.

The song is called “With My Mind” and you can listen to it HERE: http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseactio…=20041210190527

I’m getting AFI’s Sing the Sorrow tomorrow at the store. I get 30% off music/videos this weekend, so I’m gonna pick it up. I’ve been kinda reluctant to go for the whole pop-punk thing because of the whole Blink-182 label

I don’t think you will be disappointed at all.

I can understand reluctance at going for “pop-punk.”

I think PP is a bad label though just like I think “Nu metal” doesn’t really accurately describe the burgeoning hard rock genre that happened after grunge.

I think PP describes some bands very well like Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, and Simple Plan.

AFI’s punk roots go back REALLY far, though. In fact “Total Immortal” was covered by The Offspring at one point.

If you like AFI, check out some of the other recommendations I made.

ah yes…I CANNOT believe I didn’t recommend this band!!!

Check out Kill Hannah! You can check out their media player right here:

http://buzztone.atlanticrecords.com/killhannah_kennedy/

If you like AFI, buy “For Never and Ever” by Kill Hannah immediately!

:slight_smile:

As far as Blink-182…they have SOME good songs.

I recommend:

-“Dammit”

  • " Josie"

  • “All of this” (featuring Robert Smith of The Cure)

  • “Violence”

They don’t have many good songs, but they have those ones at least.

-Evan

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it’s probably the best new thing that’s come out of my car stereo in a long time :smiley: I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else. Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now :confused:

I’ll take some of your suggestions as well. Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I’m saving my shekels :smiley:

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it’s probably the best new thing that’s come out of my car stereo in a long time  :smiley:   I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else.  Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now  :confused:

I’ll take some of your suggestions as well.  Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I’m saving my shekels  :smiley:

Sing the Sorrow is a really good CD. It’s too bad that my local radio station only plays one song off it now.

Blink-182 is pretty good for the most part. Some of my faves:

“All the Small Things”

“First Date”

“Give Me One Good Reason”

“Mutt”

Yeah, I bought Sing the Sorrow from B&N today and it’s probably the best new thing that’s come out of my car stereo in a long time  :smiley:   I knew some of the songs from XM, but to really hear it from CD is something else.  Looks like I have to invest in a new genre now  :slight_smile:

I’ll take some of your suggestions as well.  Hopefully I can find them used on ebay or amazon, since I’m saving my shekels  :smiley:

Ok…here are my exact recommendations:

  1. The Used = “The Used” (self titled)

  2. Kill Hannah = “For Never and Ever”

  3. My Chemical Romance = “Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge”

  4. Coheed and Cambria = “The Second Stage Turbine Blade”

A good unsigned band whose singer left:

Camera = http://www.garageband.com/artist/camera (I’m friends with this band and I’m going to hang out with them over X-mas.)

Some songs that strike an Objectivist chord inside of me:

“Warning” - Incubus

“Vindicated” - Dashboard Confessional (I really don’t like this band but this song is brilliant and reminds me of Hank Rearden in a lot of ways)

Hey guys I’m new but I just had to join when I saw y’all discussing these bands. Here are some of my favorites (some may not be objective but they are still great… I think so anyway):

  1. Taking Back Sunday- Just became a BIG fan about 3 months ago and I’m hooked. A lot of their lyrics really hit home for me. I like “One-Eighty by Summer” “My Own Disaster” and many more.

  2. Dashboard Confessional- I’m a bit of a romantic so I like most of his songs. The vocals are emotional and his songs are lyrically sound. And Yeah, Vindicated is one of those songs that I love to scream/sing in the car on the way home from work.

  3. Third Eye Blind- This band is semi-commercialized and I don’t like that. It has shown in their lyrics over their latest CD. But most of their old stuff is really good. Again, I’m a romantic and I just get into most of their stuff because of it. I really like “Blinded” “Motorcycle Driveby” “God of Wine” and “I Want You” but those are some of their more mellow tracks. Check out some of the others and y’all may like them more than those that I have recommended.

I’ve checked out some of the other bands that y’all posted and I really like them a lot too. Especially Cold. Great recommendation there. Anyway, let me know what y’all think. :santa:

  1. Dashboard Confessional- I’m a bit of a romantic so I like most of his songs. The vocals are emotional and his songs are lyrically sound. And Yeah, Vindicated is one of those songs that I love to scream/sing in the car on the way home from work.

See, I find their lyrics to be very good and their sense of life/romance to be VERY well honed and top notch. What I don’t like the fact that stylistically the songs don’t change much in terms of “vibe” or overall emotional impact. They also don’t change much in terms of vocal range. Everything is a big emotional ballad with Dashboard. It is like the paintings are all composed using the same colors and brushes. I like things slightly more varied, but that doesn’t make Dashboard less of a band or even a “not so great band.” I think they are definitely talented and worth at least a listen or more depending on your personal preferences.

  1. Third Eye Blind- This band is semi-commercialized and I don’t like that. It has shown in their lyrics over their latest CD. But most of their old stuff is really good. Again, I’m a romantic and I just get into most of their stuff because of it. I really like “Blinded” “Motorcycle Driveby” “God of Wine” and “I Want You” but those are some of their more mellow tracks. Check out some of the others and y’all may like them more than those that I have recommended.

How about “Semi-charmed Life”? That song is excellent.

I always liked “Jumper” by 3eb, though they got to just be a crappy band when they turned into wussy pop that you hear on the soft rock station (Like “Never let you go”) The lead singer Steven started singing like he couldn’t “unstick” himself from his cheeseball falsetto. :smiley:

  1. Taking Back Sunday- Just became a BIG fan about 3 months ago and I’m hooked. A lot of their lyrics really hit home for me. I like “One-Eighty by Summer” “My Own Disaster” and many more.

Their first CD “Tell All Your Friends” was my favorite CD for a long time. Then the band semi broke up with John Nolan (backing vocals) and Sean Cooper (guitar) leaving to form Straylight Run, who are extremely good. I have the new TBS cd, but I wasn’t especially impressed (but that might be because I like John Nolan much more than Adam Lazzara). Definitely check out Straylight Run and the first TBS cd, if you haven’t.

Dashboard Confessional is okay, but when Chris Cabbara was with Further Seems Forever, they were definitely better. Check out “The Moon is Down”

Blink-182’s Dude Ranch cd is definitely their best, but the newest self titled one is probably second.

Since nobody has mentioned Saves the Day, their first two albums are extremely good.

Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly are both great. Irish punk rock with violin and mandolin. Dropkick is basically a bunch of drunk guys singing bar songs. Very funny, but I like Molly better.

Both of Brand New’s albums are awesome! Especially Deja Entendu, the latter one. If you haven’t heard it, it is seriously good. Probably my all time favorite album (along with Tell All Your Friends).

Minus the Bear and Built to Spill are also good.

Both of Thursday’s cd are exceptional. Senses Fail’s “Let It Enfold You” is good too.

Zak

Wow, I am officially out of all loops. I don’t know any of the bands of the last 12 posts (except blink-182, and they should be flogged and burned in an alley).

Think I’ll go play some Stones.