Objectivist Bands

Wow, I am officially out of all loops. I don’t know any of the bands of the last 12 posts (except blink-182, and they should be flogged and burned in an alley).

Think I’ll go play some Stones.

Don’t worry about it. (Like you care anyway). I enjoy the Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Bruce Springstein, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and others. What do you recomend, besides AC/DC? I am always looking for good music that my mom might allow me to play in the car.

New age: I forgot Ben Folds (Rockin’ The Suburbs is a great cd!), A Thorn For Every Heart, and Fall Out Boy.

Don’t worry about it. (Like you care anyway). I enjoy the Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Bruce Springstein, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and others. What do you recomend, besides AC/DC? I am always looking for good music that my mom might allow me to play in the car.

New age: I forgot Ben Folds (Rockin’ The Suburbs is a great cd!), A Thorn For Every Heart, and Fall Out Boy.

I think that for pure current talent I’d have to say the number one band is Tool. Anima is a masterpiece from beginning to end.

Outside of those three: Stones, Tool, AC/DC, my tastes go completely over to choral music. But, I like the large armaggedon type that sound like godly forces. If you have ever listened to the end of a song called Diary of a Madman by Ozzy Osbourne with those voices that sound like they are from the Omen. I simply love that.

I also love Schubert’s vocal works. And (since nobody here can point me out in public!) I love Jewel’s first album.

Don’t worry about it. (Like you care anyway). I enjoy the Stones, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Bruce Springstein, Queen, Simon and Garfunkel, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and others. What do you recomend, besides AC/DC? I am always looking for good music that my mom might allow me to play in the car.

New age: I forgot Ben Folds (Rockin’ The Suburbs is a great cd!), A Thorn For Every Heart, and Fall Out Boy.

Okay, yeah. If you’ve heard of and listened to Fall Out Boy I definitely like you! They actually take emo music and make it original, something unusual in the genre sometimes.

I need someone like you around here to go to shows with me. :lol:

P.S. In terms of classic rock, I assume you’ve tried The Who (“Won’t Be Fooled Again” is one of my all time favorite songs). Also, check out T.Rex’s first album, Electric Warrior. And, of course, you can never go wrong with '60s and '70s Eric Clapton. My personal favorite is his work with Derek & the Dominos.

GUNS N’ ROSES!!!

hello?

Velvet Revolver is awesome. If you like GnR or STP, check them out!

Frankly I LOVE Stone Temple Pilots and think GnR was a tight band. Scott Weiland is a brilliant vocalist and Slash is a cool guitarist. Putting them together has worked in a way that allows them both to compliment each other and create something unique unlike Audioslave which is like RATM-Lite.

Well he isn’t a band. And he isn’t famous, but he is incredible.

One of my best friends, Duke Greene, creates music. He calls it “Acoustic Spirit Rock”

This is straight from his website:

Duke Greene calls his music acoustic spirit rock. “It’s not about a section in the music store where you’ll someday find my albums,” he says. “It’s about the method.” He explains:

“Acoustic is obvious. It’s my instrument, an acoustic guitar. It’s genuine, it’s rich, it’s simple, it’s complex. I have a bond with my guitar; our voices are one. Spirit is about the fact that the music is real. Sometimes it’s about spirituality, sometimes it’s about yearning, but it’s always grounded in the human spirit. It’s about being real, never fake. You’ll never hear a synthetic note or digital drumbeat in my music. Only real musicians, real instruments, real voices. Real music. If you want to live music, it has to be real. Rock is about where it takes you. It’s about moving you from one place to another… it’s what real music always does. Expands horizons, opens perspectives, rocks the world. One person at a time.”

Acoustic spirit rock. Hear it. Dig it. Live it.

Is that not objectivism??? I introduced him to Rand our sophomore year of high school, because I saw in him a Roark. He learnt it, believed it, and lives it.

A quote from his song, Promise “And every time I promise myself joy and love and new-life bringing, I promise me, I’m gonna be: the answer to my dreams”

He once was strumming a new song on his guitar in a hallway, and a young girl came up to him and asked “Is that real music or did you write it?”

he looked up incredulously and said “Both.”

Have I plugged him enough yet?? :slight_smile:

Well, if I have piqued your interest, his site is on my signature. I would urge you to check him out, and perhaps purchase his demo. I want this so much, because I am something of a Heller for Duke. I promote him because I want to hear more of him. And I am selfish enough to want to hear the beauty he creates everywhere.

-Powers-

Some of my favorites:

Jazz- Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker

Category of their own- Beastie Boys

Classics- Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, The Doors, Iggy Pop

Alternative - Radiohead, And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Beck (old stuff), Blur, Dandy Warhols, Pixies, The Breeders, Smashing Pumpkins (old stuff), Bush, STP, RHCP, Nirvana, The White Stripes, Weezer (old stuff), Frank Black, Matthew Good Band

Guilty pleasures (w00t) - NOFX (old stuff), Chixdiggit, Blink 182 (old stuff), Millencollin, some MXPX, Offspring, Sublime, Unwritten Law

Forgot the KinkS!

“And (since nobody here can point me out in public!) I love Jewel’s first album”

I like that album as well! Don’t know what happened to her now… her new “image” is far from what it used to be…

Only one person has suggested any jazz, the pinnacle of technical (excepting classical musicians) and improvisational prowess in music. Listening to jazz is certainly not a passive, animalistic experience. Rather, it is active, challenging, and ultimately much more rewarding than any current pop/rock music out there now. I find it interesting that more of you haven’t given jazz more credit considering the abundance of objectivists here who supposedly lionize the prime movers. Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz. You can argue all day about who the greatest rock guitarist was, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, but compared to guys like Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, or Jim Hall, they’re playing kids’ stuff. Likewise for horn players, pianists, etc. These guys dedicate their lives to creating the absolute best music possible, as do classical musicians. Pop and rock guys don’t. Their technical ability - tone, accuracy, range - is laughable. There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

(w00t)

Only one person has suggested any jazz, the pinnacle of technical (excepting classical musicians) and improvisational prowess in music. Listening to jazz is certainly not a passive, animalistic experience. Rather, it is active, challenging, and ultimately much more rewarding than any current pop/rock music out there now. I find it interesting that more of you haven’t given jazz more credit considering the abundance of objectivists here who supposedly lionize the prime movers. Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz. You can argue all day about who the greatest rock guitarist was, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, but compared to guys like Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, or Jim Hall, they’re playing kids’ stuff. Likewise for horn players, pianists, etc. These guys dedicate their lives to creating the absolute best music possible, as do classical musicians. Pop and rock guys don’t. Their technical ability - tone, accuracy, range - is laughable. There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

(w00t)

Not necessarily. Some guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, or Steve Vai have been compared to classical greats like Paganini for their sheer techincal ability. There is a lot of technical stuff that is brilliant out there if you know where to look.

The one thing you are missing though is musical ability as the sole qualifier of “good music” isn’t necessarily the most important criteria for truly good music. Sometimes great depth can be found in simplicity.

One of the things that makes pop music popular is the way that it takes crow epistemology into account. The songs are typically short and do not place a large demand upon your awareness. Lyrics are quick and to-the-point. Musical motifs are simple (but powerful) and usually involve simple measures. A good pop tune is like a good principle in that it compacts a plethora of information into a single retainable unit. I see these as virtues for pop music. -Ray Vernagus on OO.net

It is a full package deal. It is lyrics and multiple instruments combined to ultimately SAY something.

Often times the lyrical message can be quite complex (I love analyzing lyrics as it has been a hobby of mine for YEARS)and the musical message isn’t MEANT to overshadow the message but suplement it.

With classical music, the message IS the music.

In pop/rock…the message comes in two parts:

  1. The lyrics

  2. How they are delivered (vocally and instrumentally…or in one word:musically)

I think both are equally important to make a truly memorable and good rock/pop song. However, the premium isn’t placed solely on composition.

It doesn’t mean that there aren’t rock musicians out there capable of doing Pagannini type stuff on guitar (Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Joe Satriani limited extent) all can work a fretboard like crazy insane devil-gods.

They also don’t write vocal stuff for the most part and when they do it isn’t NEARLY as successful as their instrumental stuff.

There are metal bands like Symphony X, Iced Earth, etc that actually are really really really really technical as far as musical composition goes. They are rarities though and they are an aquired taste. In all honesty, you would probably rather stick to straight classical than classical/rock hybrids.

It would be frickin’ INSANELY difficult to play like Rachmaninoff, Sebelius, or Stravinsky and sing at the same time (which is what Joe Loeffler does when he plays guitar and sings at the same time for Chevelle). If you are going to sing and play…one of them is going to take a backseat. What a lot of bands do to make up for that is they have two guitarists. The frontman just becomes the rythm guitarist (like James Hetfield) and the other one does lead (like Kirk Hammet).

Other bands just do what they do which is write/play pop/rock music. For what it is worth, some of them do a damn good job at what they are going for musically which is fundamentally different than that of a classical musician.

Jazz is primarily an instrumental genre. Comparing it to rock/pop is silly and a waste of time.

Here are some observations I’ve made on how I listen to music and some other thoughts:

When I listen to classical music (using the term loosely here to describe all genres such as Classical, Romantic, etc.), I cannot do anything else. Listening to the music is an activity in itself that requires concentration and focus. I like to listen to a whole piece, from beginning to end, in one sitting. When the music is good, I’m rewarded by an intense emotional response.

When I listen to rock music, I usually do it while I’m walking around, checking email, driving, excersizing, etc. The music is simple enough that I can enjoy it while doing many other things simulataneously.

As an analogy to eating, I’d say classical piece is a full blown meal, while a pop/rock song is a quick snack.

The work, talent, and skill that must go into preparing a classical piece is far greater than what has to go into preparing a pop/rock piece. However, because of the differing purposes of the different music types , this is completely appropriate.

Minor, you ended your post with this:

There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

I don’t listen to pop/rock music solely because I value the musician’s ability (which in many cases is quite high), I listen to it because I value the simple melody that keeps me tapping my foot and whistling as I walk, i.e. the easily digestable esthetic sustenance.

On the same note ( :worry: ), I don’t listen to Classical music solely because I value the amount of work and dedication that went into making the piece. I listen to it because it accurately inspires some positive emotion in me to an extreme degree. Of course, a composer’s piece couldn’t do this unless he had high ability. But, ability and technical expertise does not imply that the piece will be of any value to me. An example would be many of Mozart’s pieces that are so robotic and repetitive, although highly sophisticated, that are utterly uninspiring to me.

Because the two types of music serve two different purposes, there is nothing wrong with enjoying both types.

I’d like to add one more thing.

None of the bands listed on this thread are “Objectivist Bands.” In fact, I’d say a a lot of them have lyrics that are antithetical to Objectivism.

I grew up listening to rock/punk rock/emo/alternative and playing it in my bands in highschool (I’m a guitarist). It was always so disappointing to listen to a song that at first listen seemed great and then to hear the lyrics which were so horrible.

I’m not saying this music is valueless. But, since the thread is titled “Objectivist bands,” I figured it should be clarified (perhaps the thread name can be changed?).

The closest to an Objectivist band I guess would be Rush. All of the others though…not even close.

None of the bands listed on this thread are “Objectivist Bands.”  In fact, I’d say a a lot of them have lyrics that are antithetical to Objectivism. 

My friend who I mentioned is objectivist…granted, he only has himself, negating “band” but his lyrics and values are most definitely objectivist.

I’d like to add one more thing. 

None of the bands listed on this thread are “Objectivist Bands.”  In fact, I’d say a a lot of them have lyrics that are antithetical to Objectivism. 

I grew up listening to rock/punk rock/emo/alternative and playing it in my bands in highschool (I’m a guitarist).  It was always so disappointing to listen to a song that at first listen seemed great and then to hear the lyrics which were so horrible. 

This is why I origionally started this thread. I was becoming extremely disappointed with the horrible lyrics. First off, there were not that many responses to “Objectivist bands”. When the topic shifted, I asked if I needed to start a new thread, but since nobody answered, I figured I might as well talk about other bands. If anybody has a problem with this, I have no problem discontinuing this thread. Although, would starting a new one simply labled “bands” really be appropriate in a forum such as this one?

Zak

Only one person has suggested any jazz, the pinnacle of technical (excepting classical musicians) and improvisational prowess in music. Listening to jazz is certainly not a passive, animalistic experience. Rather, it is active, challenging, and ultimately much more rewarding than any current pop/rock music out there now. I find it interesting that more of you haven’t given jazz more credit considering the abundance of objectivists here who supposedly lionize the prime movers. Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz. You can argue all day about who the greatest rock guitarist was, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Van Halen, but compared to guys like Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, or Jim Hall, they’re playing kids’ stuff. Likewise for horn players, pianists, etc. These guys dedicate their lives to creating the absolute best music possible, as do classical musicians. Pop and rock guys don’t. Their technical ability - tone, accuracy, range - is laughable. There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

:worry:

Sorry, buddy, I listen for the song as a whole unit, not the particular technical virtuosity of single players.

And your list of rock musicians who supposedly can’t play what the jazz guys do-please! Once you can play the chords and rip through the scales, you can play everything. The only thing after that is songwriting, improvisation, and your own personal style.

Now if you want to talk about the higher technical classical guitar, that would be a different story. But, then we are talking about really different music, and an entirely different method of guitar play that differs not merely from rock, but from, blues, country, bluegrass, and your beloved jazz.

Those with the greatest ability, the highest achievers, play jazz.

This is a bunk claim. What about what someone wants to play? What about the kid that is prodigy on the guitar, can blow anybody out the door at 12, one day finds himself blown away when he tries a Les Paul in front of a blaring Marshall stack?

And classical guitar is much harder to play than jazz, so your claim is factually untrue on two points.

When I listen to classical music (using the term loosely here to describe all genres such as Classical, Romantic, etc.), I cannot do anything else. Listening to the music is an activity in itself that requires concentration and focus. I like to listen to a whole piece, from beginning to end, in one sitting. When the music is good, I’m rewarded by an intense emotional response.

When I listen to rock music, I usually do it while I’m walking around, checking email, driving, excersizing, etc. The music is simple enough that I can enjoy it while doing many other things simulataneously.

It’s funny, because it’s the opposite for me. I listen to classical as background when I do work, especailly writing papers for class or studying for exams. When I listen to rock, I think I concentrate on the lyrics more to get the feel for the song.

None of the bands are “Objectivist”, but we said this half-way in the thread.

It’s also more difficult to judge music than it is to judge paintings or literature. Maybe that’s because I have no formal education in music, but I have a handful of classical CDs by different composers and I can’t tell the difference in quality of the work.

And your list of rock musicians who supposedly can’t play what the jazz guys do-please! Once you can play the chords and rip through the scales, you can play everything. The only thing after that is songwriting, improvisation, and your own personal style.

I’ve heard this one too many times.

Sorry buddy, once you can play the chords and rip through scales, you can’t play everything. In fact, if that’s all you can do, you can’t really play anything. I never divided technical ability, songwriting, improvisation, and uniqueness. They all are vital qualities of good musicians. I said rock guys can’t - or choose not to - create such demanding music for want of said qualities. Those are the qualities of good music. I want to listen to good music.

Anybody can lock himself in a room for 8 hours a day with a metronome for ten years and play like Chris Impelliteri, but he will have achieved nothing in terms of being able to fluently pick the absolute best notes to play at the best times. Most of the guys on chopsfromhell are like this.

Improvisation and composition are the same things; improvisation just takes place on a much shorter time-scale. I value a piece of music based on how good it sounds, which bears a direct corellation to the talent of the composer and/or improvisor. The rock guys I cited absolutely cannot improvise as freely as good jazz musicians. By freely, I am not talking about pentatonic freak-outs. I’m talking about communicating effectively the best possible musical statement given the context of the song. You can’t do this with a rock vocabulary. It’s like a third grader trying to write a piece of legitimate literature.

I agree, the “big three” guitar gods, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen (and EJ), can play the shit out of the instrument, and they also improvise and compose beautifully, but they are exceptions. They were also ignored by everyone here.

Now if you want to talk about the higher technical classical guitar, that would be a different story. But, then we are talking about really different music, and an entirely different method of guitar play that differs not merely from rock, but from, blues, country, bluegrass, and your beloved jazz.

“Higher technical classical guitar”, as you put it, has far more in common with jazz than any of the other styles you’ve mentioned. They both require the utmost technical ability (bluegrass and country do too). What classical guitar lacks in improvisational demand is interpretation and a requirement for a greater level of technical command. While I never claimed that jazz was harder to play than classical music (I excepted classical from my analysis), it certainly isn’t easier.

Jazz is primarily an instrumental genre. Comparing it to rock/pop is silly and a waste of time.

Well, the question was about bands was it not? Jazz is played by bands. Jazz is therefore relevant to this discussion. Finally, if the music is strong enough, it doesn’t need lyrics to make a statement.

In order to make music that evokes emotional response in an active listener (not as a soundtrack as you chase ass on a saturday night), you need superior musicality - the ability to compose, improvise, and play your instrument. Contrary to popular belief, there are objective standards that measure these things. Rock/pop music is inferior in this regard; most of it is hack-work, though there are exceptions. I will concede that the best classical performances are better than the best jazz performances, but just barely.

I grew up on rock/pop. I still love it. However, the experience you get as an active listener to jazz and classical is far more fulfilling than attentively listening to rock and pop.

:thumbsup:

None of the bands are “Objectivist”, but we said this half-way in the thread.

Sorry, I’ve been reading the thread, but I missed this.

Minor:

There exists no harmonic or melodic interest in their tunes - they are simple and childish. There is no reason why someone who values ability would want to listen to them.

I grew up on rock/pop. I still love it. However, the experience you get as an active listener to jazz and classical is far more fulfilling than attentively listening to rock and pop.

… Kind of confused here. You still love rock/pop? If you love it, I’m assuming you value and listen to it on occasion. And since I’m sure you consider yourself someone who “values ability,” I see direct contradictions in your two statements. Can you please clarify?

Overall I think your second statement by itself is in harmony ( :nuke: ) with what I said earlier. I agree that the emotional response I get from listening to classical is far greater and more valuable than what I get when I listen to rock/pop. But again, this only occurs when I _ actively _ listen by sitting down and concentrating for a prolonged period of time (this may be different for listening to jazz music, which I don’t listen to, yet). When I don’t have time for this, short simple songs are pleasant to listen to. Their simplicity and catchiness are actually what I value.

Oh yea, and this comment:

(not as a soundtrack as you chase ass on a saturday night)

Is this self descriptive of your own weekend activities that you engage in while listening to the rock/pop music that you love, or is this what you suspect what the people you are conversing with do on their weekends? If the former, I think you should keep such disgusting things to yourself. If the latter, I think it is a bogus and offensive assumption that should be apologized for.

You can’t do this with a rock vocabulary.

I’m sorry, what is a rock vocabulary?

There is nothing inherently restrictive about rock music, no matter how many Korns and Blink-182’s and their clones come out of the rabbit hole.

And there is no inherent connection between the quality of a song and its technical complexity.

You might not seperate the set of skills that goes into a musician’s playing, but I do not seperate the elements that make the unit known as the song. That is rare to hear done well no matter if they are all first rate musicians or barely able to pull off a G7 chord.

PS. I do like some jazz. And 99.9999% of rock should immediately find its way into a garbage can. I have great respect for the 0.0001% that finds its way into my ears welcomed.

Finally, if the music is strong enough, it doesn’t need lyrics to make a statement.

This isn’t about lyrics NEEDING to be present to make a statment, but rather the statments themselves. Let our subject be “pipe”.

Lets call language on its own variable “A”.

Language + other medium of expression = “B”

Instrumental music= “C”

Instrumental music + another medium = “D”

Abstract/Post Modern Art = “E”

Here are examples of each.

  1. “A” could be spoken word or a novel. It is just pure language. Perhaps a book about pipes or a speech about pipes. Perhaps a guide on how to build your own pipe or simply the word “pipe.”

  2. “B” could be language and visual art/action or language combined with music.

This would be like Rene Magritte’s “The Treachery of Images”

Or it could be a rock song like Weezer’s “Hash pipe” that combines music and words.

  1. “C” is simply music. It could be a composition. For all we know the author might have written about ponies. When you play it before 20,000 people you get 20,000 interpretations of what the instrumental song is about. It could be about pipes, ponies, or a happy time making love to your wife depending on who you play it for. As Richard Halley points out, music is written by the composers for themselves and isn’t necessarily intended to communicate a message.

  2. This could be a painting combined with instrumental music that gives the painting a focus in a certain direction. If you play “ode to joy” while viewing “The Treachery of Images” you will get a different focus than if you play “the flight of the bumblebee.”

One might give you images of a a glorious man smoking a pipe and the other might give you images of a guy smoking himself into lunacy. Big difference. Both interpretations are centered around the concrete reality of the physical art and are focussed by the elements which can be interpreted using the basic parameter of “pipe” to fashion your ideas. You can think “What does this piece mean if we give it the context of a this pipe?”

  1. This could be metal pipes you use to make a sink that are shaped in the form of a smoking pipe while suspended upside down in urine and attached to gooshy wires.

Does anyone really know the message here?

The point of me going through the trouble of labeling these messages is that the ability to convey messages is almost always done through a combination of mediums and not *just* music.

Rock music communicates an effective message. Classical music postures without communicating anything more than a vague mood or rough concept. The mood itself can often be best inferred through the title. Does anyone really think “Ode to Joy” is intended to convey feelings of despair or angst? Of course not. You probably wouldn’t think so even if it just had a number like Beethoven’s 9th.

The thing is though, I challenge anyone here in this forum to tell me what Beethoven’s 9th is about in any relevant sense. What does it mean? What message does it communicate?

It might convey tension, uplifting ideas, etc…but does it really (on it’s own as a solely musical piece excluding any choral parts) convey anything more than rough concepts or moods?

I can understand why people play classical music as mood music or background music.

I think that sitting down to listen to classical music is like masturbation. It is a uniquely private and individual experience that has it’s place and time. You can get a LOT from it in terms of utilizing your imagination and what you take from it says a lot about your perceptive capacities and your sense of life.

I see rock music as more of a direct communication or connection with a message that is focused and honed using musical tools/devices (like structure, rules, etc) and just raw music. It is more like a handshake or listening to a speech. It is like reading Atlas Shrugged or watching a movie. Something tangible is conveyed from one party to another.