Objectivist schools?

On the way in to work this morning, I got to thinking about the education system and how, as I know from personal experience, having been once married to a public school teacher, the system is simply brimming over with the Stateist mentality. (I was listening to C:TUI at the time…)

And it got me thinking, are there any schools out there which teach from Objectivist principles?

Then I got to thinking - as Objectivists, since we value the Capitalist system, and since the Stateist system is so pervasive in the school systems, would not our values be served by establishing a low-cost school dedicated to Education guided by Objectivist principles?

I personally think its self evident that teaching children at an early age to use reason, to understand the important principles of individual liberty, capitalist economics, etc. would be of long term tremendous value to all of us. Being an Objectivist system, obviously we could not allow such a school to resort to the intellectual bullying that takes place in public institution - but I do think a curriculum could be devised which satisfies state requirements while still being taught in an Objectivist method, leaving the students truly free to evaluate, for themselves, the merits and negatives of our method vs. the oppositions.

I also got to thinking that such schools would be best placed in economic areas that are “borderline” - as a method of combating the influence of state dependence in the welfare state.

By necessity, such schools would need to be low cost or even provided freely - but only to students who’s parents indicate a genuine desire for their child to be armed with the ability to make a better life for themselves, and to students who want to learn how to do that.

The low cost would, therefore, mean that funding (at least initially) would need to come from outside sources. The school could also eventually make money by selling goods produced within, etc. So that got me wondering - how large is the O community, and would the O community be willing to trade the money necessary to establish such an institution for the future value to all Oists that such an institution would bring?

It now occurs to me that someone else has probably thought of this already, and I forgot to search ahead of time - but now its typed up, and of value to me not to delete it (I have to get to work), so… your thoughts please, and my apologies if this is an old idea already found to be flawed - and if that’s the case, please provide links to said proof. :wink:

For your consideration…

As far as my knowledge goes, Lisa VanDamme and her husband, both of whom contribute to The Objective Standard, run the VanDamme academy over in California and it’s run according to the principles in Objectivist epistemology.

As far as my knowledge goes, Lisa VanDamme and her husband, both of whom contribute to The Objective Standard, run the VanDamme academy over in California and it’s run according to the principles in Objectivist epistemology.

There are also the LePort Schools in Orange County. The founder, Peter LePort, is a board member of the Ayn Rand Institute. (His son, Francisco, was one of Lisa VanDamme’s original home-school students.) As far as I can tell, southern California is currently the Objectivist Mecca for K-8 education.

I’ve heard that there are some Objectivist teachers working at the Challenger Schools, but overall their approach to education seems more classical than Objectivist.

i went to VanDamme!

I got kicked out for being a bad influence,

While there I wasn’t aware of it being objectivist in nature.

And while the education was supreme, they are extremely protective.

Ayn Rand said this about education:

That reminds me of a favorite quote from one of my favorite authors [bracketed text mine]:

“Muad’Dib [Paul Atreides, the protagonist of Dune] learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It’s shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult. Muad’Dib knew that every experience carries its lesson.”

Cropper Lyceum is a good example of one :slight_smile:

I find it very hard to believe that you went to VanDamme and were not aware that it was Objectivist [in nature].

Uh, are you seriously calling me on whether or not I went to a school?

I was in 8th grade.

I think they only go up to 8th grade anyways…

Uh, are you seriously calling me on whether or not I went to a school?

I was in 8th grade.

While VanDamme bases their pedagogy on applied Objectivist epistemology, I don’t think that would require them to make Objectivism explicit to the students. Their purpose is not to sell a philosophy to children too young to grasp it first-handed; their purpose is to provide an education. I’m quite willing to believe that israel attended VanDamme and didn’t notice the connection to Objectivism. (Heck, I read all seven books in the Chronicles of Narnia without realizing it was connected to Christianity!)