Philadelphia Area objectivists

So I’ve been in the Philly area for about 6 months now, and looking to connect with Philly area Objectivists. I noticed there is a group listed at ARI website, but no info about it. Any other Philly area Objectivists out there, and do you know of active meet ups?

Wait, there’s a meeting group for that general area? I wish I’d known sooner. I am around that area on my time off from college, but I may not be around much longer now depending on how some things pan out.

Like bluecherry, I’m in the Philly area when I’m not at college. I’ve never met any Objectivists from the area.

So I’ve been in the Philly area for about 6 months now, and looking to connect with Philly area Objectivists. I noticed there is a group listed at ARI website, but no info about it. Any other Philly area Objectivists out there, and do you know of active meet ups?

I’m in the Philly area (live in Valley Forge, work in Philly) but I haven’t heard of any meet ups. I will do some research and see what I come by. We could create our own group if we want also :thumbsup:

There used to be a “Meet Up” group but I showed up just as they disbanded. Never met anyone.

There used to be a “Meet Up” group but I showed up just as they disbanded. Never met anyone.

I never met anyone from that group, but I know that they moved from MeetUp to a Google Group. It doesn’t appear to be active.

I live in Irvine CA, but I’m coming out to Philadelphia for work from Dec 26-30. I’ll be staying at the Marriot on Market St. Does anyone have any pointers regarding local sites worth seeing (and avoiding)? I’m particularly interested in knowing whether the museum is worth my time and $.

I would also be interested in going out to lunch or dinner on the 26th, or perhaps dinner on 27 or 28 with some people. Is anyone interested?

I can also let everyone know that the contact information for the Philadelphia community group of Objectivists located at www.aynrand.org/participate_arc_community_groups has been updated.

The museum? I’ve been to the Philadelphia art museum a few times if you were thinking of going there. It’s fairly nice, but note that the “modern art” section has a lot of crap in it. Not all the modern art is really bad there, there’s some neat things like some stuff made of florescent lights, but I swear they have one giant room of scribbled on canvases which they claim are supposed to tell the story of the Trojan War I believe it was and there’s a place where they have three plain brown boxes sitting on each other with the word “Brillo” (or Brilo or Brilow? I forget) on them and they swear that thing is worth a ton of cash (or at least those things were there the couple times I went in high school several years ago. I don’t know, they may have changed it around a little since then.)

I live in Irvine CA, but I’m coming out to Philadelphia for work from Dec 26-30. I’ll be staying at the Marriot on Market St. Does anyone have any pointers regarding local sites worth seeing (and avoiding)? I’m particularly interested in knowing whether the museum is worth my time and $.

I would also be interested in going out to lunch or dinner on the 26th, or perhaps dinner on 27 or 28 with some people. Is anyone interested?

I can also let everyone know that the contact information for the Philadelphia community group of Objectivists located at www.aynrand.org/participate_arc_community_groups has been updated.

I like the Philadelphia Museum of Art a lot, in spite of the Cy Twombly “Fifty Days at Ilium” crap that bluecherry is talking about. There are still plenty of good pieces to see.

Make sure to hit the Reading Terminal Market for lunch at least once, and Capogiro Gelateria. The latter has the best gelato I’ve ever had. That includes anything I’ve had in NYC or on a trip to Rome and Florence. All of the ingredients are impeccably sourced and the resulting combination of flavor and texture is one I regularly have dreams about.

I’m in the suburbs of Philly until the middle of February. Would be interested in a meetup!

I’m sold on the gelato, Stella! I’ve actually never had any gelato before, but Capogiro’s has received rave reviews from seemingly everyone online, so I think I’ll give 'em a try :lol:

Mimpy, are you available for lunch or dinner anytime on Saturday, the 26th? I’ll be wandering around Philly sightseeing that day, so I should be free anytime. Otherwise, dinner any time after 6:00 on Sunday or Monday would work out well for me. I hope that’s coincides with your availability.

Kendal, blueberry, Stella, Hans: are you interested in meeting up, too? I enjoy meeting local Objectivists when I travel, so I hope you can make it.

Of course, I have no idea where on earth people in Philly enjoy their meals, so I’m open to meeting up anywhere within close proximity to the Marriot on Market St. where I’ll be staying downtown. If anyone is particularly interested in making a run to the museum or any other popular sights (I haven’t set my sightseeing itinerary yet), company would be nice to have there, too!

I’ll be checking this thread frequently in an effort to expedite correspondence since there’s the 26th is coming up fast. With that in mind, Merry Christmas! :santa:

Oh, and I have a hot tip: rent (or buy, really) the movie Gattaca–it’s phenomenal.

I am the person who started the meetup group referenced above. We started in fall 2007. I left the area at the end of summer 2008 and so far as I know the group gradually disbanded. If anyone is interested in reviving a Philadelphia group I could pass on some contact info. I’ll be in the area from now until Jan 18 if anyone would like to meet in person. While I was involved there was actually a good bit of interest; some meetings had 7 or 8 people! We had a list of about 30 people, and that was without any real advertising (I never posted a notice on HBL, and at the time community groups weren’t given space on ARI’s website). I believe the Philly area has potential for a very good group if someone has both the motivation and (most important) TIME to lead and organizae it.

Atlas, I’d be interested in both.

I’m game for a holiday meetup, (but only if Mimp comes!!) :slight_smile:

Looks like folks might be available this weekend. Does that not work for anyone?

I don’t live in Philly any longer, though I grew up there. Depending on the actions of a certain government agency, I’ll either be visiting my family in the Philly 'burbs 12/28-12/30, or I’ll be here working in NYC. So if you guys end up having a dinner meetup one of those days, I may be able to put in an appearance – but won’t know until tomorrow evening whether I’ll be in town or whether I have to stay put and work.

Stella *and* Mimp! Philly is blessed!

Alright, options:

a. this weekend (Sat/Sun)

b. lunch next week (Mon-Wed)

c. evening next week (Mon-Wed)

Stella could only make b or c. Anyone else? Options that don’t work for you?

Option c works best for me! Option b is fine, too.

EDIT: Monday night would be good since that’s the last day Matthew80 can make it…

Thanks, Mimpy. I can only make plan C if it’s on Monday, so I would like to go with that if it’s okay with everyone. Besides, dinner will give us more time to converse, and I think we can all agree that dinner is a more enjoyable dining experience.

So, Monday, I’ll be available to meet as early as 5:30-6:00, I think. Actually, I can leave my hotel at the Marriot on Market as early as 5:30-6:00pm.

I’ll cede to someone else regarding the exact meeting time and location.

Looks like Monday night is the tentative date. Let’s say 6:30 pm. I’ll propose a location next bump. I assume somewhere in center city would be ok with folks. If not, let me know and (sigh) we can do the burbs.

Stella, I’ll have a talk with the FDA today. :thumbsup:

The meet is on. I’m not posting the location publicly, but if you’re interested, please PM me and I’ll send you the details.