Print view

The previous version of this forum software had a button at the top of each topic which allowed one to choose various types of “views”: Standard, Linear, Print etc.

Someone asked me how we could get “Print view” in this new version. This is a view that puts all the posts in a single page. it can be used to print, or simply to read them.

The new way is to look for the Printer icon at the bottom left of each topic, along with various other icons. Click and it will give you a single-page view.

A while ago, I had made a now-forgotten mental note to figure this out, but maybe you know already: for very long threads (thread in mind, Peikoff’s podcast index), the printer icon will create only the page that one is currently viewing. It will not put the entire, multi-paged thread in a single, new page for printing. However, when I found and clicked an old link to the podcast index, it still created the whole thread for printing, all on one page (I don’t have that link handy). Do you know of a button instead of the printer, or do you know which part of the URL to alter or delete in order to get all pages of the thread to show up for printing(/searching)?

Ah, yes, that’s the problem. I’m the one that asked softwareNerd about it earlier this morning.

I have an old link for “print view” for the podcast index (change the thread number at the end of the URL, and I assume it would work with any thread.)

There’s some limit to the length of a thread that one can view for “printing” or actually print; this was, as far as I know, always the case, set and fixed by the forum software. However, it will take some time for the index to reach that length, so it would be nice were there still some ready button to click for a “print view” of the index (or any other thread, even with the limit) so that one can use one’s browser’s search function to search the entire index.

OK, I figured it out, kind of.

I still don’t know what forum button will get to this, but in the meantime (or maybe forever), here is the following generic print link that works with all topics:

forum.objectivismonline.net/index.php/?act=Print&client=printer&f=18&t= 17019

The bolded numbers at the end must be the thread number that you are trying to print, found in all links to that particular thread directly after “showtopic=”, such as with the podcast index:

forum.objectivismonline.net/index.php? showtopic=17019 &pid=261082&st=120&#entry261082

Using the insanely-long Homo vs. Hetero thread, I found out that the software will not make a print page after 15 pages of a thread. Unless there is some interest or need for someone to figure out how to get around that, I’m just going to forget about that for now. Maybe if the podcast index gets that long someday, or maybe there’s a software setting somewhere…