You can create more tip jars, for the kind of stuff that you like.
The name “Propster” is something I thought a lot about. The site was originally called Online-TipJar, but I want to get away from the word “tip”. I’m using the word “props”, which stands for “proper respect”. I think that word captures better the essence of why I’d want to contribute money to great projects/achievements on the net.
There is one thing I couldn’t figure out from the FAQ: Before authorizing a tip jar, do you make sure that you do in fact have the means to deliver the money to the project/person?
Nicky: That is a good point, I haven’t thought about. It is hard for me to imagine a case where it would not be possible to deliver the money. Most people have a way to contact them. And in the case that I can’t deliver, the money is either returned back, or given to Wikipedia when donations are anonymous. I am not sure there needs to be any additional workflow.
I am excited to announce a new feature: Preview with a Tip Jar toolbar.
Nicky: That is a good point, I haven’t thought about. It is hard for me to imagine a case where it would not be possible to deliver the money. Most people have a way to contact them. And in the case that I can’t deliver, the money is either returned back, or given to Wikipedia when donations are anonymous. I am not sure there needs to be any additional workflow.
Ok, fair enough.The answer to my question is “No.”, though. And yes, there is at least one case where it’s hard for you to deliver the money: if the person doesn’t want it, or at least doesn’t want to go to the trouble of setting up the logistics to get it. After all, he didn’t ask for it.
But, as long as you make that clear (so that people who make anonymous donations to someone who hasn’t asked for them themselves, are aware of the possibility that the money could go to wikipedia instead), it’s not a problem.
To some extend that is already in the FAQ, but I will add to it what you have said as well. Thanks for the input. You are right that a person may refuse to collect the money for some reason, and the balance can be greater than a dollar.
What happens with almost empty, dead tip jars?
If after six months a tip jar accumulates less than $1, the balance is moved. The balance is returned to the tippers if possible (if they have Propster accounts), or forwarded to Wikipedia.