I’m putting together a short online questionnaire that will help people identify which philosophical school they belong to. One of my motivations is that many people who claim to strongly disagree with Objectivism also don’t understand it very well, even after they’ve read Rand’s books. They might have some cursory sense about it, but more often than not, it’s very distorted.
My initial goal is to differentiate between rationalism, subjectivism and Objectivism, by asking a series of multiple-choice questions. In every case, the A answer is for rationalists, B is subjectivists and C is Objectivists. I am intentionally staying away from buzz-words and oft-repeated or easily-identified phrases (like “A is A”) or hot-buttons (such as atheism).
I’m including below what I have so far, and would appreciate feedback and suggestions for additional questions.
- To best way to know the world around us is to:
A. Just leave yourself open. The truth will come to you.
B. Direct your focus inward.
C. Study it.
- Can we believe our senses?
A. No, the senses can’t be trusted.
B. Yes, the senses are the only things we can trust.
C. Yes, the only starting point for knowledge is perceptual.
- How do you know that key pieces of knowledge you possess are true?
A. I just know.
B. I don’t. No one can really know anything.
C. Based on a combination of observation (induction), deduction and connection to related hierarchical knowledge.
- What is the role of emotions in your daily life?
A. They are basically useless. They are corrupting and an element of evil.
B. Emotions are central to the way I live my life. If it feels good, then do it!
C. Emotions are important, but should be balanced with conscious thought.
- What role do moral principals play in your daily life?
A. My moral principles are based on rules that I must obey no matter what.
B. Moral principals aren’t important.
C. My moral principles are important, but their application depends on the circumstances (context)
- Can morality exist independently of God?
A. No. If there was no God, then anything would be permitted.
B. Whatever I think is moral, is moral. Anything is permitted.
C. Yes.
- Do things have a specific nature? If so, do they always act according to that nature? Does a rock always act like a rock, or does it sometimes act like a tree?
A. Yes, things have a nature, but outside forces can cause them to act in ways that are counter to that nature.
B. I don’t know. Certainty is impossible. There is too much that’s unknown, how can I be sure one way or the other?
C. Yes, things have a nature, and yes, they always act according to that nature.