I think it’s a monstrous thing — the whole progression of everything they’re doing — to feature, or answer, or favor the incompetent, the retarded, the handicapped, including, you know, the kneeling buses and all kinds of impossible expenses. I do not think that the retarded should be ~allowed~ to come ~near~ children. Children cannot deal, and should not have to deal, with the very tragic spectacle of a handicapped human being. When they grow up, they may give it some attention, if they’re interested, but it should never be presented to them in childhood, and certainly not as an example of something ~they~ have to live down to.
- Ayn Rand, The Age of Mediocrity, Q & A Ford Hall Forum, April, 1981
Background: This quote was presented as a justification for condemning Ayn Rand, in tandem with another quote regarding her comments on Native Americans from the West Point Q&A (Philosophy - Who Needs It). The 2nd quote - on the Native Americans - as presented was HEAVILY edited to change the context and meaning, and deliberately left out the comments Ms. Rand made about Native Americans and their own negative behaviors during the westard expansion of the US.
Because I knew one of the two quotes to be grossly misrepresented, I simply pointed out that the quote was severely hacked, and did not comment further.
Now I haven’t had a chance yet to listen to the whole Q&A from Ford Hall (its on my list), but I want to know whether this is also true of the second quote, which I have presented above as it was presented to me. I already know that the poster removed the first part of the quote (altering the context slightly), I am asking if the quote as presented on the blog (linked) is, itself, another hatchet job of what Rand really said?
Anyone had time to listen/read the Q&A in full recently able to elucidate this mater for me?