Rand's 5th novel?

Hello everyone. I imagine this has been answered but I couldn’t find it through search on here, nor the wikipedia and google. According to an interview with Rand and James Day, skip to 1105:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnVyMrmxxFE

Rand mentions being contracted for another “novel” after having published AS. I have looked around for what this might be and, other than the wiki mentioning a TV series for AS, I have not seen any info of another “novel”. Can anyone offer info, especially if its incomplete state is printed in any of her works. Of the few Rand works I do not have, one is her Early Works. But I cannot imagine this “novel” being considered Early.

Thanks

Hello everyone. I imagine this has been answered but I couldn’t find it through search on here, nor the wikipedia and google. According to an interview with Rand and James Day, skip to 1105:

Rand mentions being contracted for another “novel” after having published AS. I have looked around for what this might be and, other than the wiki mentioning a TV series for AS, I have not seen any info of another “novel”. Can anyone offer info, especially if its incomplete state is printed in any of her works. Of the few Rand works I do not have, one is her Early Works. But I cannot imagine this “novel” being considered Early.

Thanks

Thanks for posting this video. That’s interesting - that she said that. I don’t know what it is about.

Hello everyone. I imagine this has been answered but I couldn’t find it through search on here, nor the wikipedia and google. According to an interview with Rand and James Day, skip to 1105:

Rand mentions being contracted for another “novel” after having published AS. I have looked around for what this might be and, other than the wiki mentioning a TV series for AS, I have not seen any info of another “novel”. Can anyone offer info, especially if its incomplete state is printed in any of her works. Of the few Rand works I do not have, one is her Early Works. But I cannot imagine this “novel” being considered Early.

Thanks

Take a look in “Journals of Ayn Rand”. From Wikipedia: “The fifth and final section, “Final Years”, covers the years 1955 to 1977. It includes notes about “psycho-epistemology” and ideas for two possible books. One was a non-fiction book about Rand’s philosophy of Objectivism. The other was a novel to be titled To Lorne Dieterling.” From Allan Gotheif in his letter to the editor of a publication which reviewed the book: “Where is there notice of Rand’s ideas for a last, sadly uncompleted, novel, To Lorne Dieterling, on the theme of how one preserves, in a world too populated by people whose greatest joy is to debunk and sneer, the sort of inner soul that made her heroes, and her own struggle, possible — a uniquely radiant love of existence, and of values, and of one’s ability to pursue them.”

Hi ppw. Thanks for the info. I do not own Journals of AR, but from the rudiments on google books, it looks like the volume contains Rand’s outline of the book, somewhat event/scene by scene. It looks like I’ll need to get a hold of this!

Its too bad because that novel would have been very well received. It seems Rand knew that what she felt from the intellectual and public community was also felt in her admirers, and found this important enough to express it in fiction.

I noticed that Ayn Rand while talking about death repeated after Spinoza almost verbatim. He wrote:

“Homo liber nulla de re minus quam de morte cogitat; et ejus sapientia non mortis sed vitae meditatio est.”

SPINOZA’S Ethics, Pt IV, Prop. 67

(There is nothing over which a free man ponders less than death; his wisdom is, to meditate not on death but on life.)

Death scares me.

Death scares me.

Since death is unavoidable,  try to be more serene about it.  

 

Live carefully,  live well,  but realize that you are not coming out of it alive.  Nobody is. 

 

I nearly died of an asthma attack back in 1966.   I went through the 5 Kuebler-Ross stages in under an hour.  The Good News,  I survived.  The better news,  I lost my -terror- of dying.  Been there, done that,  got the T-shirt.

 

ruveyn1

Since death is unavoidable,  try to be more serene about it.  

 

Live carefully,  live well,  but realize that you are not coming out of it alive.  Nobody is. 

 

I nearly died of an asthma attack back in 1966.   I went through the 5 Kuebler-Ross stages in under an hour.  The Good News,  I survived.  The better news,  I lost my -terror- of dying.  Been there, done that,  got the T-shirt.

 

ruveyn1

I’m not scared of dying exactly (I should have specified). I

'm scared of being murdered/robbed and shot etc.  That, to me, seems like a different kind of death.  Life, the one true value to me, ripped out of my hands.  It would be like “society” never actually existed, that we never actually left (the jungle).  But what’s even worse about that is I don’t believe in an afterlife, so that we never left?  I won’t even know (don’t know if this deserves a period or exclamation point).

 

And there’s something worse to me:  what if I get an afterlife and the one true love I have doesn’t!??  What then?  I’d

or that I don’t get and he doesn’t get an afterlife either :slight_smile: so bad it requires a smiley face

Every word Rand wrote in her notes about To Lorne Deiterling is included in the journals.