Since all men are free to create wealth under capitalism, no one is forced into poverty, as in non-capitalist countries. In a capitalist country, the only poor are those who choose to remain so of their own free-will (such as many of the “back to nature” types who wish to live like hippies).
This phrase from Capitalism.org is giving me a headache.
I simply don’t get how “no one is forced into poverty”. As for the handicapped who make up a minority group, I agree that private charity should easily be able to grant the right to life to those.
But what about the following scenario:
People have to work for wages that aren’t high enough to allow them to escape from poverty. Due to competition on the labour market there’s no way of earning more money. They’re just working to live, to be able to buy food, but they surely won’t escape poverty. Imagine the money you earn isn’t even enough for you to survive.
It is said that reason alone enables every man to prevent poverty. But no matter how reasonable you are, if the overall supply of labour outweighs the demand for labour, there’s no way EVERYONE will find a well payed job (well payed meaning enough to live above poverty level).
Sure, you could try to produce something on your own, running your own business. But in a competitive world and with your limited capital, you won’t ever be able to offer your products for a price as low as that of your competitors. YOU WON’T EARN A PENNY.
So how can this be poverty by choice. How can this be poverty due to free-will?
If you say, “Well, you can always go hunt some deer. As long as you survive this way, you don’t belong to the poor. You’ve got reason enough to know how to do that.”, if you say that’s how poverty is defined, I will understand. But I’m not sure whether poverty is just defined as “inability to survive”.
Furthermore I’m not sure wheather reason alone enables you to go hunting successfully. It might also take some physical abilities, even some determined genetically, so in the worst case even reason doesn’t help.
Please correct me if I’m wrong
Bobby from Germany.