In a free market, the people who are employed or deal with a business do not “build” the business, they interact with it. They add, and in exchange take (a salary, or a product/service) from the business, in a mutually beneficial way.
An employee “helps” build a business to the extent the employer helps raise his children. No less, no more. I, as a business owner, wouldn’t try to take credit for raising his children, would I? (not unless I want everyone to think I’m a narcissist) Not even just a little credit. I would never even go as far as to say that he was the primary caretaker, and I a mere secondary one. I would acknowledge that, while it’s true that our interaction had a role to play, the credit goes to him and only him.
The person who raises a child is the parent, and the person who builds a business is the owner. Barring charitable contributions, no one else deserves any credit.
Unless I’m remembering incorrectly, I wasn’t saying employees help the owner. However I WAS saying that they help the growth of the business. And what I meant by that, is a sole person can only physically do so many things in a 24 hour day, and so there is a certain amount they can grow a business by there own physical work, and so if their intention is grow the business beyond that, then obviously they require employees. For example, I run my own plumbing business. It’s just me and my van. I can literally only do a certain amount of plumbing jobs each day. But if I wanted to do more jobs than that a day, I would have to take on an employee.
This is why I said they “play a part”, that part being the growth of a business after reaching a certain point where they are necessary for such growth.
Also, I see I made a mistake. I said “you cannot succeed in a business without partners, employees, and customers”. What I meant to say was you can’t grow after a certain point without more of those things, specifically employees.
So once again, I’ll re-iterate, A business-man who wants to grow his business into say, an empire, can’t do that entirely by himself. It’s not to say he is somehow indebted to his employees beyond compensating them for their work, but simply that the fact is, he didn’t accomplish every bit of man-hours with his own hands. So in that sense, the sentiments that “you didn’t get there alone” can technically be explained. But I don’t think that’s the idea Obama was trying to get across, I think most people would say that what he was implying was much more sinister.
More importantly, even if that was all he was really trying to say (very poorly, if so), why try to say that in the first place? What kind of person feels the need to point out to a business-man that some of his growth was a result of the work of his employees? Obviously the answer is a person like Obama.
P.S. Before I was self-employed I worked for a world-wide company, and I felt very much that I contributed to the growth of the business, and in fact was very proud of my aid to that cause, which I was all for. I never once had the feeling that my work deserved more credit than the regional manager who sat as his desk and filed papers while I was out in the field, because if it wasn’t for him, I would have no “field” to go out to. That being said, his children are absolutely not part of the equation, and I had some trouble understanding the connection. The transaction I had with my boss was between he and I. I did the work, he paid me for it. The money he got from oversight is his, and whether he spent it on his children or his fingernails are of no concern to me.