New York City restaurants for example balked at the idea of mandated published nutritional info on all menus. There is an administrative headache for sure, but part of the concern is that they don’t want the extremely fattening nutritional content being exposed. I’m personally happy to pay $1 - $2 more to order food at a restaurant when I can see the nutritional info.
Of course they should balk at that. And it is not because they assume their customers are too ignorant to realize that bacon & cheese stuffed potato skins are fattening. They balk because the government is making unwarranted demands on their business. If their customers demand nutritional information, then it is the right of the business owner whether or not to provide that information, and logically in their best interest to provide that for their customers. The customers always have the right to be patrons of the establishment or not. Nobody is forced to eat at any particular restaurant… yet, are they?
I happen to WISH that all restaurants provided this information. But I would never suggest a law mandating it. It is mandated for chain restaurants out here in Los Angeles to have the info. I like to track my calories consumed and calories burned each day, so I tend to go to places that I know have this information. Or I ask for it. Like you, I also would be OK with knowing that part of the price of my meal is including the hassle of them keeping track of and providing this information. But that is a much different sentiment than demanding it as a right for the greater good. (I must assume that you would agree this should be voluntary and not mandated by law, right?)
But specifically to your point of this example, this does not show how business benefits from people being poor. You’re using poor in the sense of having less knowledge, I know, but as I described above, in my case the business’ benefits from me being “rich” with information. If you use take the term “poor” to be used more traditionally and refer to people without a lot of money, then obviously mandating such extra costs associated with providing this information will necessarily push up the prices of their products and negatively affect the poor.
Wealth and prosperity can be created in the free market where people trade freely based on their own decisions according to their own self interests. Any encumbrance to that is what causes distortions. In a free market, the rich don’t get rich by making other people poor. People get to make themselves rich based on their own effort, labor, talent… and yeah, some luck thrown in there too. They can go poor by the lack of those same causes as well.
- The big, obvious lie: “Drug companies and insurance providers have higher profits than other industries.”
Actually, the healthcare industry is as big as it is because of the never before seen prosperity in the free world. Now, of course, that freedom is being attacked, by an ideology that promotes class envy, and considers prosperity, and the never before seen ammount and quality of healthcare these prosperous people get “too much”.
This (3) isn’t a point that should even matter. (whether a lie or not… as worded, it is not a lie because, yeah, they have higher profits than “other industries”. That is not to say that they have [unfairly?!?] high profits)
Though I agree with what he says here, Jake doesn’t need to justify the bigness of any industry. There is nothing wrong with profit. We hear the opposite claimed all the time and it is an out and out attack on capitalism. Profits are the point. Profits are good. Every business and person works precisely for profits.
“Obscene profits”
“Windfall profits”
“Outrageous profits”
These are things said by people philosophically opposed to capitalism. That is what should be pointed out. If one understands capitalism and free markets then you will cheer big profits. That means more investment, more competition in that field for innovation, more growth… And that actually leads to the product being more affordable. It is when a third (non-productive) party can step in by force (read Government) and can make demands and distort the free trade of products between free individuals that causes the types of twisted and complex issues we see in, say, the health care industry.
Anyway… Below is a chart of profits by industry. (source - I cannot personally vouch for the percentile accuracy, but I have no reason to doubt it)
Look at the #1 evil industry. “Hmm” says the government official… “Maybe we should put a special tax on soft drinks, eh?” Welcome to Atlas Shrugged.
But as I said, one shouldn’t look at that chart and think that the people at the top are somehow “the bad guys”.