Two passages from the Fountainhead that I’d like to understand.
You know how people long to be eternal. But the die with every day that passes. When you meet them, they’re not what you met last. In any given hour, they kill some part of themselves. They change, they deny, they contradict – and they call it growth. At the end there’s nothing left, nothing unreversed or unbetrayed; as if there had never been an entity, only a succession of adjectives fading in and out on an unformed mass. How do they expect a permanance which they have never held for a single momen? -Mallory, The Fountainhead
“I often think that he’s the only one of us who’s achieved immortality. I don’t mean in the sense of fame and I don’t mean he won’t die someday. But he’s living it. I think he is what the conception really means. You know how people long to be eternal. But they die with everyday that passes. . . They change, they deny, they contradict- and they call it growth. At the end there is nothing left, nothing unreveresed or unbetrayed; as if there had never been an entity, only a succession of adjectives fading in and out of an unformed mass. How do they expect a permanence which they never held for a single moment? But Howard- one can imagine him living forever.”
In the quest for intellectual, personal and professional growth isn’t it normal that some part of your self should be killed? Even I were morally perfect, I’d potentially still be capable of errors in reasoning which would then need to be changed. I call it growth - fixing all my errors.