I heard that objectivism brings many couples together… I’m doing a survey to see how many couples on this forum have gotten together because of Objectivism. Did it bring you all together? Where did you meet your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend?
I’ll start first, I met my ex girlfriend at my old job at McDonalds. She was my coworker and she was my best lady friend. After awhile of knowing her I decided to ask her out on a date, and she became my girlfriend. We went strong for about 6 months.
This was before I had read any of Ayn Rand’s books so Objectivism didn’t really play a role in our relationship.
I heard that objectivism brings many couples together… I’m doing a survey to see how many couples on this forum have gotten together because of Objectivism. Did it bring you all together? Where did you meet your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend?
I’ll start first, I met my ex girlfriend at my old job at McDonalds. She was my coworker and she was my best lady friend. After awhile of knowing her I decided to ask her out on a date, and she became my girlfriend. We went strong for about 6 months.
This was before I had read any of Ayn Rand’s books so Objectivism didn’t really play a role in our relationship.
My fellow and I met and befriended on the internet by happy accident. Objectivism had nothing to do with it, but Xena might have LOL My mate is actually not Objectivist at all (you could say I’m not either) and doesn’t like Rand anywhere near as much as I do. But he’s got a general commitment to reason and individuality just like I do, so, good enough.
Do you mean, you were at OCON together or you met on an Objectivist website?
Yes this is what I ment. I would say though that the philosophy itself can bring people together if you follow it’s principles but I don’t have time to explain it all, right now. Maybe someone on here has experienced what I am talking about and will post about it.
Also how come not that many people on this forum are replying to my question? It is a simple question really. If I am going to do a survey I think I will need more people, Haha.
I met my boyfriend at a Winter Solstice Party last December that was hosted by North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS). Since I met the founder of NTOS via this website and was subsequently invited to the party, I consider that my boyfriend and I met because of Objectivism. (Thanks Old Toad! )
I met my girlfriend at the drive-in during the summer before my senior year of highschool. She was the friend of one of my friend’s girlfriend at the time. Almost 8 years later and we are going strong.
Yes this is what I ment. I would say though that the philosophy itself can bring people together if you follow it’s principles but I don’t have time to explain it all, right now.
“Meeting” and “getting together” are not the same thing. I meet people all the time but I rarely form close relationships with them. Perhaps your question would be better asked as “Did Objectivism in some way influence the *development* of your relationship with your significant other?”
Objectivism could be considered one of the reasons why my ex and I split up. I’m philosophical, he’s not. While he’s *mostly* rational and an all around decent guy, he also has an underlying mystical bent that I find tedious. That and we don’t have enough in common so we eventually became bored with each other.
I met my boyfriend at a Winter Solstice Party last December that was hosted by North Texas Objectivist Society (NTOS). Since I met the founder of NTOS via this website and was subsequently invited to the party, I consider that my boyfriend and I met because of Objectivism. (Thanks Old Toad! )