In another thread I have explained why I think that forced taxation can be moral under the right circumstances, and is therefore not ‘immoral’.
Likewise, the F.D.A., a favorite punching-bag for those who favor extremely limited government, is something I will defend as not inherently immoral.
I don’t think the Food and Drug Administration is an entierely helpful agency, and wouldn’t mind its repeal necessarily, but the existence of such an agency does not contradict the central moral purpose of government.
Fraud is a crime. Knowingly selling a product meant for human consumption, when it is not reasonably expected to cause harm by consumers (excluding, therefore, questions about new drugs where the risks are known by the consumer), that in fact does cause harm, is fraud. Even if the fraud is unintended, there can be reasonable arguments about producer negligence.
Some might argue that it is the consumer’s responsibility to buy safe products, that, “They don’t have to buy it”. I would argue that the same argument basically applies to producers as well: “They don’t have to sell it.” Nevertheless, if a person is harmed explicitly by another’s actions, then the law must apply.
The role of a legislature is to set standards, so that litigation of cases over harm is more efficient and effective at correcting that harm. Thus, fraud is not inherently an issue exclusive to the judiciary.
If a person were to secretly poison milk they were selling, and make many people sick, they would be held accountable post-facto. However, if they poisoned milk, and acted with intention to sell it, and are caught, they are still legally accountable for the same moral crime regardless of no actual harm being caused.
Likewise, it is appropriate for an executive agency to disallow action, or impose fines, based on provable intent to harm through fraud or negligence. In fact, setting up such an agency might be the most efficient way of dealing with this issue.
Consider the police. Police have broad authority to prevent crime, and acting under due process, bring persons into the judicial process only after the initial police intervention.
So, like a police agency, I defend the moral legitimacy of a regulatory agency. However, the agency is only legitimate when it follows due process, and regulates on morally legitimate grounds (no banning drugs because of cost control measures - ick).
It is not today’s F.D.A. that I defend. Instead, a food regulatory agency for food safety generally is what I’m defending against those who feel such is morally illegitimate.