What are “supposedly ‘hard line’ Objectivists”?
Did you add the “hard line”, or did you get this elsewhere?
My own personal opinion and I find that more often then not, its a conflict over aesthetics.
No matter how much people insist and persist that Objectivism is not a cult because its a philosophy of individuality, reading articles like that review which is written with the understanding that “And if you are an Objectivist, you would have reached the exact same conclusion I did.” is not comforting. While I would certainly expect Objectivists to have similar tastes (I don’t expect there are many people here who are particularly interested in say, Crash). I find that there seems to be an unwritten cannon of things (TV shows, movies, etc.) which all “truly rational” Objectivists should look at and reach concensus on. Never mind the fact that the individual is perfectly capable of living a rational, self interested, capitalism promoting life, the fact that he has “questionable” taste, means that there are serious flaws that must be fixed for him to be able to live by Objectivism as Ayn Rand would have wanted him/her to.
Example, here are a few things I like which I can guess could be a “surprise” to most Objectivists:
Wicked (The Musical)
What I Like:
-Great music and characters. A very strong musical that even makes effective use of literary technique to make the story more engaging and interesting.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-What? A subtle hint of moral relativism? Thats a Liberal Idea! Don’t Buy the CD or see the show!
Battlestar Galactica (new one)
What I Like:
-Where should I begin! This show has some of the most well told stories and engaging characters on television. It also is incredibly appropriate to modern times with a very good political stance. A very recent episode is very interesting to watch in the context of the Palestinian elections and while it is not meant to make direct reference to that event, it is still very meaningful to watch.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-Why are we watching characters bleed on screen! Why are they not winning every day of the week! Why are people dying! This can not be allowed to happen, this is naturalism at its worst!
Lost (TV Show)
Why I like it:
-Every character has a story and I want to know what is going on on that island!
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-Unexplained events? Things beyond human understanding? This is a condemnation of the rational mind!
Foundation (Issac Asimov series of books)
Why I like it:
-Its interesting to see the development of the Galactic Society and the history that drives it, especially since I am personally very interested in history.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-Predicting history? What about the individual’s ability to change it! Why is the only character who goes against the “plan” a villain (the mule).
Paradise Lost
Why I like it:
-Satan is awesome and the whole story is riveting the whole way through.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
Its inherently irrational, based on religion, and incapable of getting out of that problem.
Dr. Strangelove
Why I like it:
-Its funny:
“You cant fight in here, this is the war room!” “It was going to be announced Tuesday, you know how our Chairman loves surprises.” “Flouridation” “We can not allow, a Mine Shaft Gap!”
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-It shows the American military in a bad light, this is indicitive of an illusion from reality. No good!
Hear of Darkness
Why I like it:
-There are so many emotions that get evoked from this text, its exciting and chilling and impressive all at the same time. There is something to be said for the novel helping stir the colonialist inside of me.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-Ambiguity!!!
Catch-22
Why I like it:
-A very well written work, great characters and hillarious situations.
What I Assume “Hard Line” Objectivists Would Not Like:
-Its not even chronological!
And so on.
And its not as if I put down some truly awful things either.