I read this book years ago. It’s probably still sitting on my shelf. I like the title. It fits with what I’m thinking at this point.
This will not be a review of the book. Anything I might say that seems similar to it is purely coincidental.
In school, fundraising opportunities came along at every grade. Candy, popcorn, magazine subscriptions where done at a markup price. As an adult, I see these forms at work where other parents bring them in to ‘help’ their children out. I think it does the child a dis-service and never buy them in this way. My parents did not do this for me. We lived in a more rural area. Bike and shanks-mare usually netted me the pizza party or other top-sales rewards offered.
One year, I wanted to enter a gardening contest. I did not win the gardening contest, but I sold seeds to raise the money to buy the seeds I planted.
I worked on a roadside farm market. We tended the garden thru the year, and sold the harvest and other products we bought from the larger farmer’s market by the roadside. You interact with a lot of people this way. Many repeat customers, as well as those that just happen to be passing by. I asked questions, I got stories.
Later, I found myself in a short term telemarketing position selling tickets for a circus for a charity organization. The had the script written out on a 3 x 5 card. I read the script on the first several calls, and then threw it away. And the end of the nights, I usually had the most tickets vouched for.
Shortly after, I canvassed neighborhoods for a carpet firm. It was not my job to sell carpeting, only to find leads for the salesman. We were paid to do our job with a percentage of the commission for closed deals. My second month with the firm, I was handed the highest commission check of the canvassers.
I tried my hand at Amway on a couple of occasions, but never repeated the success, so I got myself a “real” job.
Most of us get solicitations from time to time. Most of the time I listen politely then decline. I had a gal stop by peddling magazine subscriptions. I ended up buying one. I didn’t really know why at the time, but I was discussing this with a friend of mine and it occurred to me. This gal had “thrown away the script.” I bought the magazine, because I enjoyed her presentation. She wasn’t trying to sell the magazine, she was out looking for people that were interested in buying. I wasn’t interested in buying it, but I did anyway.
When I first came to OO, I did so because I discovered I did not know Objectivism as well as I thought I did. I was re-reading the books and investigating online for better sources of information. The voice I used to listen to on the radio fell silent. It left a hole, for rational assessment of the world. I got here and tested my knowledge with others. I could look up the material and cite it, but I discovered I was still relying on the script so to speak.
I still look things up. I still cite them I listen to ARI materials in my rolling library. I listen because I continue to discover things I missed before, or hear them again in the light of new understandings. In doing so, I find myself throwing more and more of the script away.
In the proper means of communication, between the lines I read the question how does the message of Objectivism make further inroads to the world at large. Part of the answer I think lies in being able to throw away the script.