John,
As you can imagine getting out of the immediate area of the airport is a headache. I would say that you can get from the LAX parking lot to the highway in about 10 minutes. (Yes, there have been traffic jams just _getting to_ an on ramp!!!
)
What I’ve realized in recent years is that Southbound traffic really does differ from Northbound as far as travel time goes. (I chalk this up to the cultural differences between OC County and LA County. Let’s face it, OC is “new money” with lots of it, and that means tons more traffic.)
Generally, on a normal late night, you can get from LAX to Newport in well under an hour. If you are talking about afternoon traffic, then hoo-boy… it could easily be double time if not more.
As far as the immediate conference area goes:
You definitely want to go South on Jamboree or MacArthur from the highway. Those streets are plenty fast, so it’s not worth trying to negotiate the lesser side streets until your close to where you want to be. Also, the 405 and the 5 merge, but that’s considerably further South over towards where Irvine meets Laguna Hills. I hate to say it, but choosing between the two big NW/SE highways is a bit of crap shoot. The 405 is closer to LAX, but it hangs closer to the coast. The 5 is more of a straight diagonal shot, but you have to get to it first, and that likely means using I-10.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formt…amp;ambiguity=1
Whatever you do when it comes to going county to county, you should add at least 30 minutes to your drive time. If it’s a tight deadline, then add 60-90 minutes more. (An individual traffic accident can bring our highways to a grinding halt… in more than one area! (domino effect))
I received a short heads-up from my travel agent. There is a super-shuttle bus service from LAX that will include the Newport Beach Marriott as a stop. It costs USD35, though will be stopping several times. He didn’t say how long the bus trip will take.
He also said there’s an executive delivery service for USD130 or so.
JJM