I also finished the book, as well as Nathaniel’s book, this past weekend.
I was surprised how cult_ish_ their circle was. There were a few parts where I had to laugh out loud as it seemed ridiculous, from Ayn writing papers on other’s psychology to the account given that she was “clapping” in amusement and laughing when Nathaniel used eloquent phrasing when providing his perspective on others’ “psycho-epistemology” (essentially clapping at others’ misery).
Nathaniel’s book seemed pretty self serving and arrogant, but also reflective and interesting at times.
All of them acted immorally and reality won out; I felt worse for Barbara and especially Frank. Ayn, from Barbara’s account, seemed unfulfilled in her marriage, especially indicated by the fact that other young men before Nathaniel noted that there was that similar type of flirting going on. It seemed like she was seeking out an affair all along, but didn’t want to let go of Frank. Nathaniel, though he was very young at the start and under the influence of Ayn, kept up lies and deception all the way to age 38. He was, essentially, using Ayn and not treating her as a human by lying to her and lying to everyone else.
The whole thing was a major rationalization. Frank and Barbara’s error was agreeing to it and staying with them, though I understand why they did. Poor Frank seemed to have a miserable life towards the end, and Ayn did as well. He had a lifetime of suppressed emotions and it was especially sad to read about his last years.
It was interesting to read about Ayn’s character - she seemed to have a lot of flaws, and virtues, I would not have been able to guess by listening to her interviews, etc. It was also interesting to read how Peikoff came to the forefront of Objectivism and how he became the “intellectual heir” that ARI makes him out to be (and by his own statement) - it was almost by default, everyone else in Ayn Rand’s life left her.
It would have been interesting to hear Ayn’s take on the whole thing as I bet it would give a more complete picture, especially with her dealings on Nathaniel. I was really disgusted, enchanted, and saddened at different times reading the book. It was a rollercoaster of emotions - not because I was particularly invested, but all the triumph in her life as well as all the tragedy (including for the people around her) was sometimes hard to read.