I made this post as the result of a discussion with a Catholic. He equates God with existence (or the creation of existence, but identical to existence… or something like that), and says that God’s rules must be obeyed. I then have the gall to ask, “why should I obey God’s rules?” He considers that question nonsensical - suggesting that if Jesus revealed himself to me, it would make no sense for me to ask why I should obey his rules. It seems to me he considers it as nonsensical as asking, “why should I obey the laws of physics?”
Anyways, I’m trying to figure out what the linguistic trick is that they’re doing, as it’s obvious that’s all their doing. It’s certainly equivocation, but is that all there is to it? Here’s my response:
Here is exactly what you (or the Catholic) are doing:
You have this anthropomorphic, personal thing called “God”. Then you have harsh, cold reality, “existence”, which you believe to be without meaning. You want to connect them, so you define them as equivalent. God created existence and is existence. Thus, you are able to suggest that God’s commands must be obeyed, just as the laws of physics must be obeyed. It would be absurd for me to ask “why should I obey the laws of physics?” You have no choice BUT to obey them. BUT, the laws of physics are not enough laws for your universe - you need moral codes. You equate God with existence in order to give those codes meaning and force.
You take a personification, who commands rules (just like a king would). You equate this personification with reality, in order to make those rules a necessary consequence of reality. Now, I try to ask “why” to “obey me” and you say it is nonsensical.
The trick that you are pulling is that when I try to argue with the person of God, you convert him into existence. When I try to argue with your notion of existence, you convert him back into the person of God.
In short, you switch back and forth between the “is” and the “ought”. When I argue with the “ought” you convert it (by definition) to the “is”. The reason that you have to use an anthropomorphic entity for your “ought” is that meanings, values, rules, are unique to humans. In other words, for something to be a rule requires it to be “commanded, obeyed, demanded”, etc - all human actions. It’s familiar territory, and easier to be absorbed by your brain.
In this way, you evade responding directly to anything, but appear to have an answer for everything.
I’m not sure I succeeded in writing this clearly, but I have succeeded in identifying the source of the trick.
I guess the next step would be understanding why some statements are more easily accepted by the brain than others, especially if they are put into familiar forms. It seems obvious, but maybe there are some requirements for acceptance. Are there any other requirements besides being a) familiar and B) grammatically/syntactically correct?