Using Google Translate the title of this topic is, “A FMS requires a specific language?” I ask because a Free Market Society with today’s technology seems to have overcome the necessity of using a specific language to transact business. Earlier today while browsing on my other cyberspace hangout, Facebook, a friend posted the following:
"Overheard at a grocery store by someone waiting in line behind a woman speaking on her cellphone in another language. Ahead of her was a white man. After the woman hangs up, he speaks up.
Man: “I didn’t want to say anything while you were on the phone, but you’re in America now. You need to speak English.”
Woman: “Excuse me?”
Man: *very slow* “If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico. In America, we speak English.”
Woman: “Sir, I was speaking Navajo. If you want to speak English, go back to England.”
Source: Slapdash Mama
After LMAO, I began to reconsider my previous position about the necessity of requiring a specific language, e.g. English, in a nation with a virtually open border policy that allows domestic employers to hire multinational employees at will. After doing some preliminary research, I came to understand Ayn Rand’s view as being that an official language is required for the sake of maintaining clear communications, and that multiple languages could be spoken so long as they weren’t forced on a population whose majority spoke a particular language. I welcome corrections if I’ve misrepresented her view.
What I’m really interested in is if today’s technology is approaching the point where clarity of communication still requires a specific language, particularily in a FMS. I don’t see this as particularily lengthy subject, so I’ll appreciate whatever feedback is generated in consideration of it. To add an element of fun, and as a practical demonstration of whether a multilingual FMS is possible, I encourage respondants to use Google Translate to offer short portions of their response in something other than English.
Le sol est ouvert à la discussion
Edit: After posting I noticed the topic title choked in presenting what was intended to read as:
¿Un FMS requiere un lenguaje específico?
I expect some similar glitches, but hopefully you’ll get the purpose of my attempt to integrate some tests of the reliability of technical transations of our spoken language, and whatever limitations they present.