Just wanted to toss in my two cents about something I see happening here a lot. People, especially newcomers, often write posts offering bad arguments or ideas. That’s not a capital offense; can anyone here claim they’ve never honestly screwed up? (If it were a capital offense, I would deserve a firing squad composed of the entire population of China for some of the nonsense I’ve spouted over the course of my life.)
The extent to which a person’s ideas differ from Objectivism does not necessarily equal the extent to which they’re intellectually dishonest or lazy. From personal experience, I’d go so far as to say that there’s almost no correlation: I’ve met plenty of people who talked the Objectivist talk, but were astoundingly irresponsible and evasive in practice. Nor does the fact that somebody might think something is compatible with Objectivism which is not imply that they are dishonest. It can often imply nothing more than that they need to do more research.
It’s not an easy thing, usually, to determine that somebody is being evasive. It’s a pretty serious charge. I won’t point any fingers, but I’d like to see people give some serious thought to whether they’ve been unnecessarily dismissive or rude when responding to posts.
This forum isn’t just a place for people to preach to the choir, to talk about things they already know or to apply Objectivist principles they’ve already digested to new issues. It’s also a place for discussion of the Objectivist principles themselves. I’d like to think it’s a place where people who don’t fully understand Objectivism can come and ask questions, even offer up the conclusions they’ve reached for debate. But so long as people treat disagreement as dishonesty, a lot of newcomers will walk away shaking their heads, having reached no conclusions except that it’s useless to talk to Objectivists.