I have thoughts of the beginnings of a way of creating meaningful video games, particularly art games in the vein of Oblivion (sorta) or Bioshock. I have thought of employing what I call a meta value system to create artistic games, but since it is heavily involved with personal values, I felt it appropriate to ask for opinions here rather than just in game design communities. Since a value is what one acts to gain or keep, it is fitting with any interactive medium where an observer acts, so it is not an “aesthetic theory” (I’m not sure if that’s the best term to use) limited only to video games.
This is something I wrote (with modifications) a few months ago:
In a virtual reality, other value systems may be used without real-world repercussions. A player is able to murder a person for saying the wrong word without going to jail. If this decision is contrary to player’s actual value system, the player is using a meta value system (MVS). Since no one holds an identical value system of another person in real life, any value system in a game can be called an MVS. All people are thinkers to some extent, so they will constantly wonder “what if”, particularly regarding an interactive or artistic medium. In real life, people think “what if” but cannot truly test out their thoughts without breaking laws or some existing code of ethics that they may currently hold. But in a game, being immoral according to one’s standard of morality or just acting different will not have any real or long-lasting effects. Consequences of these actions can be understood beyond the immediate point in time, so the MVS can be used as an ethical testing system. Testing out a “what if” in a meaningful way is best done in an interactive medium. The ability to use an MVS is one of the major reasons why a player will play a game, since it is both a means intellectual exercise and entertainment.
In order to test out what ifs, the player must begin by devising a value system. The value system consists of individual values and how to acquire those values. Usually, the player will begin to devise their value system based on some initial choices, such as a choice between being a magic class or a defensive class. At this point, a value has been merely chosen. No integrated system has been created. But this choice can lead to other thoughts: “So I picked a thief class. Maybe I could act like an irrational criminal. I know this is bad, but maybe I’ll find out why this is bad. Or maybe I’ll be a self-righteous thief, trying to get back at ‘the man’ for what he stole from me. What would happen if I lived by either value system?”
Once a player is posed a choice for a particular course of action, a system of values is formed. It is formed through an active thinking process: “I have the option to destroy a camp of orcs and get a massive amount of gold. I need weapons. I’m a thief class. I thought about being an irrational criminal, and it sounds like that’d be fun, so that is how I will play the game. I’ll go and steal some weapons just because I can.” This is where the framework of an MVS begins. It is a relationship between values and how to acquire them. It is the ultimate “what if” testing system.
Again, this is just the beginnings of developing an idea I have, so I’d like to know if anyone disagrees or has opinions in general on “interactive mediums and values” or my MVS.