Ayn Rand lived in Russia at the time of the Bolshevik Revolution, and lived through the Great Depression, both events were far worse than anything we have seen in our life times, both rife with mooching, legalized looting, and power lust on a massive scale. Ayn Rand knew human depravity at its worst, she did not have to imagine it, she lived it.
She was not overly “optimistic”.
While I agree with you, I think there is still something to be said about the world today. In my lifetime I’ve had the chance to speak with several people who lived through that time (the Depression), and the thing that I took away from them is that, while they are happy to live in a country that will step up to help them when in need, they were still very, very, very ashamed to take relief money from the government. To them it meant they had failed, when it was the politicians and the FED who were failing all around them. This is because FDR’s answer to the Great Depression was totally unheard-of and foreign. Those people did not grow up with the idea that “Government takes care of the needs of the people when the people are in trouble”. No, they grew up with that can-do, work your arse off to feed your family attitude.
Now, let’s look at today. There is hardly a person alive, conservative or liberal, who doesn’t hold the idea that “Government takes care of the needs of the people when the people are in trouble.” On both sides of the aisle, FDR is one of our country’s most well-known heroes. Sure, this generation and the last haven’t experienced anything remotely as disastrous and devastating as the Great Depression, but that isn’t the point the author of this thread was making. If there were another depression, the people alive today have neither the attitude or the leadership to handle it as well as the people during the Great Depression.
As a side note, it is for this reason that I think we will have our own ‘Bolshevik Revolution’ someday. A president was just elected on a slogan: “Hope and Change”; a promise to spread the wealth around: “My attitude is that if the economy’s good for folks from the bottom up, it’s gonna be good for everybody. I think when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.” (Direct quote); and a gaurantee to give to every lazy and unproductive person he can uncover everything they need to survive, “free”-of-charge. Let me restate the beginning of that last sentence: A president was just elected by _ majority vote _…
It really is frightening. And, while I do everything from writing my congressman to taking a vacation day so that I don’t miss the chance to vote to getting lost in hours of conversation with any socialist or liberal who is interested in intellectual conversation, I’m losing heart. I can’t talk to enough people for enough time to convince them of the immorality of socialism, and, living in a state like Texas, my vote is mostly meaningless. As my classes get harder, and my studies intensify, I find myself becoming more and more like Roark: absorbed in my work and passion, and mostly insulated from the world around me. Lately, I’ve been having to remind myself to care, remind myself to read the news to see how the rest of these delusional individuals are going to vote away my rights. But, I’m starting not to care, and with that comes a bit of guilt, and even that is disappearing now.