I understand the frustration of facing just such terrible choices; also, the emotion of fantasizing situations where we perish as long as our tormentors perish as well. I remember one of the most important things I got (second-hand) via Rand:
Quote
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” – Reinhold Niebuhr
Acceptance is not easy when the things one is trying to accept are man-made and could be different. Yet, stepping back, and understanding the possibilities within one’s lifetime, some man-made things might as well be metaphysical. Resentment against those who made the man-made problems can be paralyzing. It may not be easy to get beyond it, but that’s what one needs to do. It is paralysis in being demotivating, and it also becomes a crutch, as in “I cannot do XYZ, because of those evil ones”.
In his lecture “Understanding Objectivism”, Peikoff speaks of people who give up on Objectivism because it depresses them when they see so much more clearly what is wrong with the world, understand that there are actually good known solutions, but realize it ain’t going to change anyway. Imagine you learn the secrets of holy grail: the secret to happiness and long life. But, imagine you can only speak Aramaic, and can never learn any other language, and nobody else can learn Aramaic. It’s like a Greek tragedy, and it would be natural to wonder: is ignorance bliss?
Knowledge is a good thing, but one has to figure out how to stop it from being debilitating. Somehow, one has to understand “this is how things are going to be in my lifetime”, and one has to reach a level of comfort with this: perhaps a complete comfort would be a bad thing, but enough comfort to let it be mostly an element in the background.
Within the most likely scenarios going forward, most Americans will have the ability and opportunity to live comfortable, happy lives that will remain the envy of at least half the world. The real tragedy would be to starve oneself amidst a great buffet because the meal could be so much better.
BTW, I don’t see any evidence for the following.
1 hour ago, happiness said:
… , but as Peikoff noted in his book, Americans are still much more rational than Wiemar Germans.