I’m in my appartment, which is located in the US, which is a part of North America, which then lies on Earth, which is situated in the Solar System, which is part of the Milky Way, which is one of great many galaxies in our Universe.
The way I think about the Universe right now, is that it started at one single point, and then exploded into what we have right now. I know there are different theories on what’s going to happen (i.e. whether the Universe will keep expanding, or not). But that’s not my question. What I can’t wrap my mind around, is what was there, before there was nothing? What was out there 10000000000000000000000 years ago?
How far back do you have to go, to reach the origin? Or is it even the right question to ask - because it almost seems like the concept time may not be an adequate way of looking at things of that proportion?
And once you reach the origin, how do you explain the nothingness preceding it?
How does one grasp this, without going crazy?
I am sure everyone has already stated the point that there is nothing “before” the universe since time is a property of the universe. To quote Hawking, its like asking “What’s north of the North Pole”?
However, one point that probably isn’t mentioned here is that you are kind of making the assumption that nothing actually existed at one point, which it can’t. Second, supposing our definition based arguments fail in reality because of bad definitions, and that there was some “nothing” that preceded the universe, even then you wouldn’t know the properties of “nothing,” because no human has ever had any interaction with nothing. You have never experienced “nothing”–you know, not just darkness, but a complete lack of space-time.
I think to make the statement that something can’t come from nothing is an arbitrary statement since there is not a single documented case of someone experiencing nothingness.
I hate the term multiverse, but to seriously address your question, it is thought by a few theorists that our universe spawned off of another dying universe. This is not really testible as far as anyone knows, so you may just have to settle for going crazy.