Since it is IMPOSSIBLE to know whether an attacker only intends to “rough you up” I fail to see how your point has any validity whatsoever. Non sequitur. It does not follow.
I don’t believe that it’s impossible to know in every case, but even granting that it is, I’m trying to identify the principle whereby it is wrong to defend yourself when you are not at risk for death.
As for my point not following, I have not made a point. I asked a question which you are refusing to answer. I will try again: if you knew that a thug only intended to rough you up, would you have an obligation to allow him to do so? If I understand you, the answer would have to be “yes” since you claim that the standard for when it is proper to engage in self-defense is when you believe you are at risk of being killed. If that is NOT your standard, then please correct me.
The reason it makes a difference is because this entire discussion ASSUMES the existence of a police force, a court system, etc. If you spot someone breaking into your car and they are very clearly no immediate threat to you i.e. they haven’t SEEN you and don’t know that this is your car, you have NO JUSTIFICATION for attacking them in an attempt to defend your property.
Yes I do. My car is MINE and just as I don’t have to hand it over to someone who asks for it, so I don’t have to hand it over to someone who demands it or tries to take it. Now, whether or not it is prudent for me to refuse to do so depends on the circumstances, but it is outrageous for you to claim that a man who tries to stop a theif from stealing his car lacks justification, or what’s more, is acting immorally.
It is not as if his alternatives are, "Keep your car, or “let the police get it back for you.” More likely it is, “Keep your car or lose your car.” Even if that were the case, I still don’t believe you would have an argument. After all, whose rights would he be violating? Surely not the criminal’s!
IF they successfully get away with your car (by no means a given if you report them) and IF they total it you are entitled to recompense through the COURT SYSTEM but you have to WAIT.
Right, which is exactly why you SHOULDN’T let them get away with your car in the first place, if you can take reasonable action to do so.
Why? Because even though it might be an inconvenience to you to be without your car for some time it is in your best interests to live in a civil society where people seek recourse to the proper authorities to deal with crimes. It’s certainly not in your best interests to possibly get beat up by an unknown thief.
But this argument works only if you assume that my action is not one of self-defense, but that is precisely what you need to prove. I maintain that it IS an act of self-defense because self-defense refers not merely to “not dying” but to the protection of your life and your property.
Certainly, if you try to keep your car and the thug gets away, you do not have the right to track him down, take it back, and invoke justice. But that’s not what we’re talking about. We’re talking about you claiming that one has no right to stop him in the act.
As for getting beat up by a thief…you forget, if I lived in a free country I might very well carry a gun. More broadly, whether or not a person chooses to assume the risks involved in defending his property is properly left to his judgment. My point is not that it is always, or even often, wise: only that it is his right.
I am not saying it’s immoral for you to defend your property sui generis, I’m saying it’s immoral for you to defend specific, concrete pieces of property when there are other, more important considerations that must take precedence. I.e. I’m saying that you must act in accordance with the hierarchy of your values, which, to a rational person would mean: 1st: preserve your life, 2nd: preserve the principles that make property and life possible, namely the principle of a civil society, and 3rd: defend your specific, concrete items of property.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.
I do not recognize a distinction between defending my property and defending my life. Only if you take “life” to mean “not dead” does this even begin to make sense, but of course that is NOT the Objectivist definition.
Furthermore, you seem to want to imply that defending one’s property violates the desire to “preserve the principles that make property and life possible, namely the principle of a civil society,” but as I pointed out before, that is only so if one first concedes that protection of one’s property does not come under the umbrella of “emergency self-defense.” I do not concede that.
Don Watkins