Reading GC’s post about students reading the “One Minute” site, reminded me of a type of activism I think can be useful on the margins: adding to the Wiki, presenting people with facts that other editors might be ignoring. Many students use the Wiki to do homework, and it would be nice if they had access to facts that an Objectivist may want to highlight.
Do not “troll” the Wiki, nor add polemic. This is best left to others. Instead, simply add facts that are uncontroversial, but lesser known.
For instance, a couple of times, I’ve read about someone in a book, and checked the Wiki for more. One time, there was no entry for the person (James Lemen), even though knowing about him was an important piece in understanding Jefferson’s attitude toward slavery. Another time, reading about Sewell Avery, I found that the article was very slanted, and did not present Avery’s side; so, I added a short, but relevant quote.
It’s an easy thing to do from time to time.
Follow all Wiki’s rules. (I know we have a Wiki admin among our members; I’d welcome any caveats). While posting, try to enhance the mission that the owners of Wiki have set for themselves. Speak with facts; and, speak to the intelligent reader who will see the relevance of those facts. Also, always try to add a citation.