I don’t particularly care whether you think the politician or their policies will change culture; I don’t consider the distinction relevant, and wasn’t alluding to such a distinction. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of your derision of others for (allegedly, nobody actually did this) asserting that we should elect politicians because of their direct effect on cultural trends when your defense of Obama (here and elsewhere) amounts to: “The policies of Obama and Romney are just as bad as each other, but the Republicans are so unreasonable, and therefore electing Republicans will effectively move the culture toward unreason in some small way.”
For the record, I actually agree that small changes in culture can happen as a result of elections. Obama holds to a philosophy that sees material goods as rights, which leads to a policy of class warfare. Romney holds to some bastard form of “natural rights” philosophy that leads to a policy of theocracy. But I don’t know if there is a way to predict whether a politician’s ideas will wax as a result, or whether those ideas will wane due to backlash - and if so, which philosophy will fill the vacuum. Even if we could predict, can you really say with certainty you know which set of ideas is worse? I think both are unacceptable.
Voting as a means of directly effecting cultural change is a fool’s errand. Romney supporters (on this forum) are saying Romney’s policies will more slowly bring statism, with the chance to reverse one or two particularly bad recent changes in healthcare, foreign policy and all-around executive branch ineptitude in the short-term. In the long-term, that means we have more time to change the culture. But we certainly aren’t going to change the culture if we don’t energetically pounce on every opportunity to support each side when they are in the right. Like right now, when the Republicans suddenly decide they won’t sanction their own victimhood, just this once.