I recently got into a debate with someone over the existence of God. Growing up in an atheist household and a generally non-religious community, I never had much of an opportunity to develop an argument against the existence of God, so it took me some time to formulate my thoughts. I will write here the focal point of the debate, and my thoughts on the subject. I hope I can get some pointers.
Part 1
My opponent – “God exists.You think he logically does not? You are making a positive assertion, therefore you must prove it logically.”
Me – Reason is the means by which man navigates the world around him. The construct of reason originates with empirical evidence gathered by our senses. Man uses his senses to see the world around him and construct patterns based on what he sees. Through such observation, we have formulated logic through the law of identity (or non-contradiction), and its corollary, the law of causality.
When one makes a logical assertion, he must necessarily rely on positive evidence. There is no other way to make an assertion. If I am standing in the middle of an open field and someone asks me if there is a wall in front of me, I can only logically respond by pointing out that there is a lack of positive evidence of the wall. I can use my eyes and reach out my hand to deduce that there is no wall in front of me. The only reason I would be wrong is if I were under some sort of extremely heavy mind altering substances.
The religious argument fundamentally rejects this very basic notion of logic. It instead posits, “something is held to be true, or at least possible, until it has been proven false.” But the entire concept of “proving something false” is technically invalid. The term is often used colloquially, but you cannot actually use empirical evidence to prove something is false. After all, how can anything really be “shown” to be false? (Someone could use conceptual logic to prove something false with a syllogism, but any concrete application would necessarily require empirical evidence which is validated through positive assertion).
Going back to the wall example: despite the fact that I sense no wall, a person could suggest that maybe the wall is there, but it is beyond my capacity to sense it. Even if I possessed the most advanced cognition tools on earth, I could never actually demonstrate that the wall does not exist. Nor can I disprove that the wall is beyond my cognition. The justification for the wall’s existence doesn’t even have to be supernatural; perhaps the wall was built by super advanced alien technology which I cannot perceive.
But this is all irrelevant. Logic does not work this way. If one were to consistently apply this method of logic, no decisions could ever be made and all action would be chaos. After all, can you disprove the notion that there is an invisible bomb strapped to your chest right now? Can you disprove that I am God just messing around with your head. Well, no, no one can technically disprove these things.
Part 2
My opponent – “But even if what you say is true, you cannot be certain. It is not impossible that the wall is there and was built by aliens. Even if you use the best evidence available, you are only guessing and hoping your senses are accurate.”
Me - The concept of “certainty” is entirely epistemological. When I say, “I am certain that George Washington was the first president of the United States,” I am not saying that I am a God-like being who knows everything about everything with infinite omniscience
and therefore I must be correct. Rather, I am saying that given the full context of my knowledge, there is reason to believe George Washington was the first president.
Essentially you are getting at the concept of “agnosticism.” If what you say is true, then not only should we be agnostic about God, but we should be agnostic about literally every potential assertion in all of conceivable existence. This is because you are using metaphysics as a standard of truth, rather than epistemology.
Part 3
My Opponent – So what? You could still be wrong about George Washington. Maybe history was misrecorded?
Me – Maybe history was misrecorded. I have no way of proving that it wasn’t. All I can use is the best evidence available to me. Why would I base my judgment on unproven hypotheticals rather than empirical assertions?