Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Mathematics and Physics

Alex
    By Alex,
    Is there any objectivist literature about mathematics or physics? I'm really curious about what they have to say about the fields. About what is incorect and what can be left to discover using a truly logical method.

What is the difference between fact and opinion?

DavidV
    By DavidV,
    This came up on another forum, and I'm really not sure of the answer. Here is my best shot: A fact is a falsifiable (non-arbitrary) statement that describes some aspect of reality. An opinion is either a potential fact or an arbitrary statement. A fact may be true or false: the statements “the earth is flat” and “the earth is round” are both facts, but only the second it true. A rational method of inquiry can prove an opinion to be a fact. For example, “that girl is good-looking” is an opinion if it not based on an objective evaluation of her traits in comparison to the average, and a fact if a rational process is used to objectively evaluate her traits. If we come across a box and say (without any idea of what the box contains), “that box is empty” – that is an opinion, even if it is true, because we did not reach that conclusion by any rational means. However if we look inside or have some basis to believe that that box is empty, then that statement is a fact – though it may still be false if we misinterpret the evidence. Finally, “If unicorns existed, then their horns would be sharp” is an opinion but not a potential fact because it is an arbitrary claim lacking a truth value.

Introduction Thread

Anatole
    By Anatole,
    I'm a sophomore, from Texas A&M. Read Atlas Shrugged about three years ago, been increasingly interested in Objectivism ever since. I'm also a (political) Libertarian, so you guys might want to go ahead and prepare the fire and brimstone in advance.

Hello Forum

Fred
    By Fred,
    Hi gang. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and I like what I see. I'm a doctoral student at Georgia Tech. My field is operations research. If you've never heard of OR, just think "math that Dagny Taggart would use" -- for example, to determine a train schedule which satisfies customer demand at minimum cost. Operational problems can get really complex, and many billions of dollars are riding on methods for the solution of various types of problems. I finished an undergraduate degree in mathematics from Duke last year. It was at Duke that I first heard about Objectivism. The first couple of years I was kind of gradually coming around to it, and then 9/11/01 really woke me up: ideas matter; bad ideas kill. From then on I was involved with Duke Objectivists (ably led by Alex Epstein, who you may recognize as a writer for ARI and TIA). Interests of mine relevant to this group include: (Re-)starting an Objectivist club here at Georgia Tech. (It seems that a previous club ran out of steam around 1998.)
    Applying Objectivism to mathematics and (partly by extension) to theoretical computer science.
    I'm also a classical pianist, and I'd love to talk about music.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS