Objectivism Online Forum

My Intro

Rate this topic

Hi all,

Kelly here ;) 23, living in NJ. I have a BA in music history/theory from Penn State and am currently studying fine art at the Art Student's League of NY and Graphic Design at Gibbs College.

I'm an arts lover (in case you couldn't tell) and appreciate all things beautiful. I enjoy getting out and enjoying life, not just talking about it, but a good philosophical discussion is enjoyable, too.

I enjoy dancing (swing especially), reading, painting, drawing and broadway shows among other things.

Other things about me. I restarted the Objectivist Club at PSU my freshman year there and helped to run it with my friends Desiree and Rick. I was introduced to Objectivism by my parents. I have been an Objectivist for 10 years and an atheist my whole life :)

Anyone here from the NYC metro area? Talking online is nice, but meeting in the real is better!

Kelly

I enjoy dancing (swing especially), reading, painting, drawing and broadway shows among other things.

Welcome Kelly! If you're interested in swing dancing, you should know that one of the best swing dancers (and swing dance teachers) in the world is an Objectivist - my best friend, David Rehm. Not only that, he has applied Rand's theory of esthetics to Lindy Hop (the earliest and, in my opinion, best form of what would eventually evolve into a variety of dances we now call "swing"), providing it with a philosophical justification and an objective standard of evaluation. If you're ever in the D.C. area and are looking for a swinging time (uh...strictly in the dance sense!), feel free to say hi!

Hi nimble,

You're certainly welcome to come to NYC anytime. We've got a great group of Objectivists here if I do say so myself :-D

Thanks for the info DPW. I've always wanted to get down to DC for some swing. Maybe I'll take a trip with some of my swing dancing Objectivist pals ;) I'll let you know when I do get down there! Right now, I'm saving my time off and my money for the 2005 ARI OCON :)

Kelly

Welcome Kelly!

Nice to meet a person with positive energies! :)

I've always admired Swing. Never seen it in real life though, only in movies and Television. As far as I know there is no swing culture in Israel.

Anyway, I plan to arrive to NJ this August (but I don't know if I'll be staying). Will be happy to hear about Objectivist clubs there.

Planning on OCON 2005 too.

Welcome Kelly!

Nice to meet a person with positive energies! :)

I've always admired Swing. Never seen it in real life though, only in movies and Television. As far as I know there is no swing culture in Israel.

Anyway, I plan to arrive to NJ this August (but I don't know if I'll be staying). Will be happy to hear about Objectivist clubs there.

Planning on OCON 2005 too.

Hi Eran,

Thanks for appreciating my positive energy! :)

There's a pretty active Objectivist scene in the NYC metro area. You can check out the NY Heroes Society at www.nyheroes.org. That group is run by Objectivists and a lot of area Objectivists participate in it. Their hikes are always fun and a great challenge. Beyond that, there are just a lot of Objectivists in the city who for the most part know each other, so if you meet a couple, you can probably meet a couple more, and so on :)

Also, a guy named Lou Esposito runs this board. http://groups.msn.com/NYCObjectivistSocialGatherings/

Lou and Co. organize some fun gatherings every once in a while, though they've been dormant for a few months.

So are you arriving in the US to stay or just for a visit? In any case, let me know when you're here if you're interested in getting to know people. I'm in the city every weekend.

Kelly

Kelly here :) 23, living in NJ. I have a BA in music history/theory from Penn State and am currently studying fine art at the Art Student's League of NY and Graphic Design at Gibbs College.

I'm an arts lover (in case you couldn't tell) and appreciate all things beautiful. I enjoy getting out and enjoying life, not just talking about it, but a good philosophical discussion is enjoyable, too.

Other things about me. I restarted the Objectivist Club at PSU my freshman year there and helped to run it with my friends Desiree and Rick.

Before you mentioned Desiree, I thought you might BE Desiree. She's going to the Art Students League and was at PSU too. Needless to say, I really like her and, from what you have written here, I would probably like you too.

Welcome to the board.

Before you mentioned Desiree, I thought you might BE Desiree.  She's going to the Art Students League and was at PSU too.  Needless to say, I really like her and, from what you have written here, I would probably like you too.

Welcome to the board.

Ha, yes, Desiree and I have a lot in common. She lived down the hall from me freshman year at PSU and had Galt's oath on her dry-erase board. And a friendship was born : ) Desiree speaks well of you, Betsy. From your posts on rationalism, I can see I would like you too.

Thanks for the welome.