Objectivism Online Forum

The Objectivist Project

Rate this topic

Xaviered

Hello everyone,

Some of you might remember me from last year, lamenting on my teen angst and on how I am unable to act, to decide on a course of action at a cross road in my life. Many thanks to the great advice given to me then, it helped me tremedously. Not to sound mushy, but the community here, and Objectivism in general, changed my life to no small degree(There are just about no Objectivists in Singapore) . Back then, I was so uncertain of the future, of what to do, of who I am. Though many of the questions have not been fully answered, I believe I am well on my way, and on the right track. And if I am not, I know for a fact that I will deal with it, and will do my best to emerge triumphant with whatever obstacles I might encounter.

Now I am in junior college(which is the most prestigious educational institution for my age in Singapore). It is something I would not have expected last year. I will graduate next year, and then do my time in the Singapore Army, which is required for all males 18 of age in my country. That is, if I do not wish to go to jail (and I do not). Despite approaching a new cross road next year, in which I will need to choose once again, which course(s) to take in university, I go forth with a fire in my heart that is rather difficult to describe, but which I am sure you are all familiar with.

Now, to the matter at hand.

We have been given an assignment in my junior college. Here, we just refer to it as ''The Project'' or ''Project Work''. It is a very vital part of our curriculum. Simply put, this year's project involves us taking a famous person and trying to extract learning points from his/her journey and how it might be applied so people can learn from them. Quite immediately, I chose Ayn Rand. It was rather self evident to me, and I felt I would be in a way, paying tribute to a set of ideas that have so influenced me. The thing is, I require ideas. I would need to somehow propose ideas on how to promote Objectivism and Ayn Rand to the youth in my country (though it is not limited to just my countrymen). And they need to be unconventional for them to stand out. As it is, I told my teacher(who had no idea who Ayn Rand was) that I chose Ayn Rand, and presented to her a set of proposals, which include : A series of talks and discussion groups on Objectivism formed in junior colleges and secondary schools, a weeklong holiday camp touching in the history of philosophy to learn how objectivism relates to other philosophies, and a debating competition in collaboration with the Debate Association of Singapore in which an Objectivist debate team will defend rational stands against any opposition and win (hopefully).

Much to my dismay, though I believe my ideas to have merit, my teacher wants me to be more ''unconventional'' in my ideas to promote Objectivism and the rational way of life. I have been mulling this over, and have not made much progress.

Would any of you like to share your ideas with me? Perhaps if you offered a pointer or two, it might spark up some idea that I simply didn't ''get'' in my attempts to rake it up.