Objectivism Online Forum

Customer Serivce (professional relationships)

Rate this topic

I work as a Pharmacy Technician dealing with Customer Service on the phone.  I was wondering about any insight people have in how I should interact with such folks in this context?  My conclusion is that the goal is to serve the customer, in order to make them feel satisfied to sell our product.  

I get paid (the goal) by selling medicinal products to patients in need (also a goal) to help make my company succeed (also a goal).  In order to keep the customer and make a sale, I must tell them the facts of the medications and focus on keeping them happy; I am there to serve them.

Insight would be nice.

I believe that since most folks are irrational, the goal of maintaining a position and earning an income in a job you take pride in, is achieved by remaining polite and doing what you are told to the best of your ability by your bosses.

Overall in employer-employee-customer relationship, you should understand following three things.

What is Central Purpose of your own Life?

How exactly is your job contributing to the Central Purpose of your Life?

How are your day to day activities contributing to  your job and career, in the context of your Central Purpose of Life?

For e.g. if your Central Purpose of Life is to make medicine more accessible to masses(like Amazon made books more accessible to masses), the job can help you understand the specific problems in market related to the goal. After analyzing these problems you can research and come up with solutions. You can either apply solutions in your current job, and grow. Or switch to better job and apply the ideas in another company. Or start your own venture if you are confident and capable enough. Short term continue to improve yourself and the work environment you operate in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, rohintest said:

Overall in employer-employee-customer relationship, you should understand following three things.

What is Central Purpose of your own Life?

How exactly is your job contributing to the Central Purpose of your Life?

How are your day to day activities contributing to  your job and career, in the context of your Central Purpose of Life?

For e.g. if your Central Purpose of Life is to make medicine more accessible to masses(like Amazon made books more accessible to masses), the job can help you understand the specific problems in market related to the goal. After analyzing these problems you can research and come up with solutions. You can either apply solutions in your current job, and grow. Or switch to better job and apply the ideas in another company. Or start your own venture if you are confident and capable enough. Short term continue to improve yourself and the work environment you operate in.

You didn't answer the question I asked, but you did answer an important question for me.