Objectivism Online Forum

The Struggle Of A High School Objectivist

Rate this topic

This is not possible. I have already asked before. I live in a lower class city. At the high school I go to, the teacher you have is the teacher you have, there is no money for 'extra teachers'. It's 30-40 kids to a room with kids standing up and such.

I have decided to educate myself by my own efforts however. I decided to teach myself what my school can not - how to live a proper life. I have bought this computer and other materials to help me live by working full time (30 hours per week) and going to school full time. It's not easy but it's doable.

My goal is to become a professional musician. The teachers also tell me that, 'this will never come true', 'you have good technical skills but this is not a plausible goal - choose something rational instead', among other comments. The comments have shaken me mentally to the point where I think that I should quit high school to achieve what no one thinks I can.

This is the truth. Does it now surprise you that a teacher would make comments like that?

Tim

Ah ha! This is the mistake I made in highschool. I chose to get good grades at any price so I could get into University because I always wanted to be rich. What I should have done was gotten 60's and 70's, read Ayn Rand, and anything else I wanted with the extra time. Since I found out while in University that I wanted to be an artist, I still feel like I wasted some crucial years by trying to get A+'s in highschool. An artist cannot always make it without higher education. I often wonder at the boy I would have been if I would have read Rand at 14 instead of 18.

I am not prescribing what you should do. I am just relating what I wish I would have done.

Americo.