Objectivism Online Forum

Downtime Info

Rate this topic

The DNS host for ObjectivismOnline was hacked yesterday, which is why the site was down for a while. If you are still having problems getting to the website (but are magically able to read this) let me know.

The DNS host for ObjectivismOnline was hacked yesterday, which is why the site was down for a while. If you are still having problems getting to the website (but are magically able to read this) let me know.

I'm still getting about 10% of my pages loads coming up with the error. It seems to mostly happen when I'm previewing a post. I've had it happen once while submitting a post. Otherwise, pageloads seem to be coming as quickly as usual.

That's odd. Whole site was dead to me until just a few minutes ago (~12:30am EDT). Dead since, well, my last post about 12 hours ago. Glad it's back though.

• 2 weeks later...
That's odd. Whole site was dead to me until just a few minutes ago (~12:30am EDT). Dead since, well, my last post about 12 hours ago. Glad it's back though.

This reply is a bit delayed - but it might be informative in the event something like this happens again.

I went through a similar DNS issue a few weeks ago with my online radio station's audio hosting service. In this case, the DNS server was not hacked - they deliberately changed servers and never bothered to give anyone notice. My understanding is that the way DNS works is the changes take a while to propagate across the entire Internet and that customers of some ISPs will have access faster than others.

I became aware of my outage when I started receiving emails from people complaining that they were unable to access the audio stream. I was puzzled because I was able to access it just fine both from home and from work and my interface showed that people were listening - though in somewhat smaller numbers than usual. Then I finally received a notification of the problem from the hosting service. The people who wrote me were either on the upper West Coast or overseas. Some people were unable to access it for well over 24 hours - it just depended on how quickly whatever network they connected through updated.

Anyhow, that is why after the hack was fixed some people were able to access OO before others.