Objectivism Online Forum

Chicago Bans Foie Gras

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

I don't find organic food tastier. It's also not any more healthful than regular food.

Whether this is true or not, the stores that specialize in "whole" or "organic" type foods tend to have tastier, healthier merchendice. You might be paying four dollars for an orange, but you'll know that it'll be a really good orange, and not a total gamble like at most neighborhood grocery stores. I don't know whether the fact that it's often organic has any causal relationship to this.

I'd like to see a "Sane Foods" store that does the first, does the second without pandering to irrational fears, and scorns the third.

I don't know if you have these in your area, but HEB's "Central Market" seems to be maybe a little bit better than Whole Foods about PC stuff. But I haven't examined either of them closely (and I never heard about that lobster thing)!

I wonder if either of these stores carry foie gras. I heard that foie gras is a common ingredient in pate, which I like; so I think I'd probably like foie gras after all!..

Once when I was making mojitos (no comments please, it was for a theme party to which I was invited, not hosting), I went to an organic food store. Because this was winter and I was having a tough time finding enough limes. The local chain grocery had a few, which I bought up, but I needed more, so off to the organic store down the street. Woo-wee the limes were tatty. Half the size and all pock-marked. In fact, all the produce was small and unappealing. The limes from the chain store were much jucier and milder than the ones from the organic, too.

I think there's something to be said for hormones, fertilizers and pesticides. They make better mojitos. <grin>

-Q

• 5 weeks later...

Chicago councilmen are at it again. Some of them want to "make it illegal for restaurants to use oils that contain trans fats". This NYTimes report says that the rule will probably not pass. Another rule that did not pass: one that would make the cabbies dress better. :lol:

Woo-wee the limes were tatty. Half the size and all pock-marked. In fact, all the produce was small and unappealing.
I've found this to be a general but not universal truth about orgo-food, and an additional explanation has occurred to me. Besides enjoying the benefits of decent pest control and fertilization, serious professional produce-producers have the benefit of a clue. I think non-chain organic places tend to buy lousy produce from 4th world-style farmers who are not more than a notch above hunter-gatherers, and who don't see that man must command nature to get a decent lime. There are exception: the chain Whole Foods does offer good organic produce, if you're interested in paying the price.

• 1 year later...

An update on this news-story. After banning foie gras in a 48-1 vote in 2006, the city council now voted 36-6 to overturn the ban.

[PETA] said the repeal had been made in "a secretive, rushed bow to special interests that benefit from the cruel treatment of animals"...

... ...

Mr Durand acknowledged that his restaurant had been a "duckeasy", getting round the ban by serving foie gras for free.

"Duckeasy" is a play on Chicago's "speakeasies", illegal bars that operated when the sale of alcohol was banned during the American prohibition.

"the actress Loretta Swit, an animal-rights activist, compared the forced feeding of geese and ducks to the treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib."

Right, I'm sure that if we force-fed a bunch of Muslim POW's and served their livers in fancy restaurants, there would be no outcry except from "progressive" celebrities and bullshit propaganda organizations.

• 5 years later...

I know I'm reviving an ancient thread, but it's actually a funny one that I recommend reading from the top.

Anyhow, turns out that Air France still serves foie gras. It is one of those instances where adherence to concrete of traditional culture stands against "progressive" political correctness.  

Edited by softwareNerd