Objectivism Online Forum

Combining Posts

Rate this topic

The forum was set to merge posts added within 10 minutes. I changed it to 5. If there's a consensus against it, I can turn it off.

I don't like that feature in newer versions of Invision Power Board and have been hit with it in other forums which use the program as well.

It is not at all uncommon for me to wish to respond to two very different points made in different postings and by different people but within the same thread. Merging the replies together tends to do two things: One, it takes the emphasis away from both points. It is not uncommon for threads, especially as they become larger, to end up discussing multiple aspects of the main topic. Two, it makes it more difficult for a reader to follow a thread selectively.

Personally, I rarely read threads (or even most postings within the threads I follow) in their entirety. If they discuss something I am interested in, I read them - if they discuss something I am not interested in, I either gloss over them or ignore them. It is not at all uncommon for me to come across a thread where some participants are talking about an aspect of an issue that I am interested in reading about and others are talking about a different aspect of the issue that I don't particularly care to read about. If a poster is actively participating in discussing both aspects of the issue, a merged posting which begins with the aspect that I am NOT especially interested in following might end up resulting in my glossing over the entire posting and perhaps missing the merged second part which discusses the aspect of the issue that I AM wishing to follow.

I can understand why such a feature might be useful if a particular board had a big problem with a lot of people putting up numerous back to back postings making essentially the same point. But I have yet to encounter a discussion board anywhere that has had such a problem. I am not sure why Invision Power Board sets such a feature as being "on" by default instead of simply making it available to those who have a need for it.

As for a time limit - it is not at all uncommon for me to compose multiple postings off line in a separate software application (one that has a spell check and where my work will be saved if a power blackout hits while I am composing the posting) and then post them one right after another once I am finished. Usually once I have taken the time to compose my postings, I either want to or need to move on to other websites and/or tasks. Having to wait around for 5 minutes in order to post to the same thread again without a merge is kind of a pain.

Anyhow, that is my two cents worth on that particular feature.