Objectivism Online Forum

Death

Rate this topic

Neurosophist

Interested, I did a Google search and found this site, http://www.hhfisher.com/ , which I believe to be his company site. I haven't looked too deeply, and don't know how he is currently doing.

Thanks so much for finding that. It is the same man and from the "Awards" section he appears to have been alive in June 2002. So he was, at least, definitely alive and, apparently working one year past his 100th birthday.

I left a message on their phone, explaining my interest (and admiration), and asked for an update. If they get back to me I will relay the info here. I would be thrilled to talk to Harold Fisher himself!

Incidentally, the award in 2002 honored his 85th year in the industry, so he started young, a lad of about 16 around WWI.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harold Fisher is a 100 year-old American architect who recently cut back his work schedule, from seven to just five days a week! Fisher says that most men die when they retire, because they are "bored to tears." He sums himself up with "I'm never bored. I'm always thinking. I've always got problems to solve. Well, I'm just -- I'm happy."

You just have to love this guy.

A favorite of mine was artist Beatrice Wood noted for her pottery, racy drawings, long, adventurous life -- not all of which Objectivists would approve of -- and the fact that she was James Cameron's model for the character of Rose in "Titanic."

"Beato" was interviewed by a reporter when she was 102 who asked her if she tried to work every day. "I don't TRY to work every day," she replied emphatically. "I DO work every day." In addition to her work, she taught ceramics to children at the Happy Valley School in Ojai, CA right up until the end and left the school over $5 million in her will.

Beato lived to be 105, crediting her longevity to "chocolates and young men."

http://www.beatricewood.com

A favorite of mine was artist Beatrice Wood noted for her pottery, racy drawings, long, adventurous life -- not all of which Objectivists would approve of -- and the fact that she was James Cameron's model for the character of Rose in "Titanic."

"Beato" was interviewed by a reporter when she was 102 who asked her if she tried to work every day. "I don't TRY to work every day," she replied emphatically. "I DO work every day." In addition to her work, she taught ceramics to children at the Happy Valley School in Ojai, CA right up until the end and left the school over $5 million in her will.

Beato lived to be 105, crediting her longevity to "chocolates and young men."

http://www.beatricewood.com

What a delight. I had forgotten about Beatrice Wood. Thanks!

I think Beatrice Wood (at 105) and Harold Fisher (at 104) would have made a marvelous couple. She liked younger men and, I have been told, he liked older women. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for finding that. It is the same man and from the "Awards" section he appears to have been alive in June 2002. So he was, at least, definitely alive and, apparently working one year past his 100th birthday.

I left a message on their phone, explaining my interest (and admiration), and asked for an update. If they get back to me I will relay the info here. I would be thrilled to talk to Harold Fisher himself!

Well, unfortunately, that is not going to happen. 102 year-old architect Harold Fisher went to that big building in the sky seven months ago. He died in November of 2003.

I had a lovely conversation with Joyce, a lady who worked with him for years. Harold worked five days a week until he finally died, still sad that he had to cut back from the seven days a week schedule. To listen to her talk, Harold Fisher was all that his quoted words made him appear. He loved life. He loved his work. He loved to think. I only regret that I had not tried to contact him earlier, as I would have loved to talk directly to the man.

You're welcome, Ash. And, please, call me Stephen.

Thanks, Stephen. And I'm sorry if you've asked me to call you that before and I've just forgotten--it's been a while since I've been here! And I thought it better to err on the side of caution, so as not to unintentionally show any disrespect.

Thanks, Stephen.  And I'm sorry if you've asked me to call you that before and I've just forgotten--it's been a while since I've been here!

Yes, I have noticed your absence. And, while it is really nice to have you back, one part of me wishes not! You see, I was planning to wind down my participation here as soon as I passed your first place standing in number of posts. I was, literally, just about two dozen or so posts away from number 1, and then you returned with a huge spate of posts, catching up on dozens of topics long gone. Unless you disappear for a while, I see no way of catching up. :D

So, I will perhaps just have settle for the number 2 spot. :lol:

And I thought it better to err on the side of caution, so as not to unintentionally show any disrespect.

Understood. But this is such a nice informal gathering, chatting away about so many different things, it seems more like friends on a first-name basis. Anything else just seems too formal, at least to me.

Yes, I have noticed your absence. And, while it is really nice to have you back, one part of me wishes not! You see, I was planning to wind down my participation here as soon as I passed your first place standing in number of posts. I was, literally, just about two dozen or so posts away from number 1, and then you returned with a huge spate of posts, catching up on dozens of topics long gone. Unless you disappear for a while, I see no way of catching up. :D

So, I will perhaps just have settle for the number 2 spot.  :)

Well, I probably won't be doing much more posting for the rest of the week, so you might have a chance to catch up. But I will probably be back this weekend!