Objectivism Online Forum

Idea: trash can threads not shown, or notated in recent posts &rss

Rate this topic

How many times have you clicked on a topic on the main page under "recent posts" or on the RSS only to find that it is a spam or troll thread?

How about omitting posts in the trash can from these, or giving them some type of notation?

Example: "TC: Come buy my widgets @ widgets.com!"

Edit: topic title was too long and got cut off

Edited by Nate

How many times have you clicked on a topic on the main page under "recent posts" or on the RSS only to find that it is a spam or troll thread?
Personally, less than a dozen times in about 3 months, and I've whacked every one I've seen. Oh, but I didn't look at that most recent one, so I didn't know what it was about. Typically, these things don't live more than an hour or so, but by all means, report spam. I don't RSS, but if that's where you're getting the problems from, well, yeah...

Okay, I checked. The Trash folder is exclude from the RSS. However, the RSS feed is created once every 60 minutes and cached. So, I guess what's happening is:

• The spam is posted
  • It's an average of 30 minutes before it will be picked up and cached for the RSS feed
  • But, within the next 60 minutes, a moderator notices it and deletes it
  • Until the next time the feed is generated, it shows up as a "headline" and anyone clicking on it is led to the Trash folder (where it has since been moved)

I've changed the setting so that a new set of headlines is generated and cached every 30 minutes, but the essential issue remains.