Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Reblogged:Sanders-Trump- ... RFK Jr. Voters?

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Earlier in the primary season Trumpists encouraged or aided Green crusader/anti-vax conspiracy nut RFK, Jr. -- first as a primary challenger to Joe Biden and then as an independent candidate for the Presidency. They did the latter because they saw him as doing more damage to Biden's prospects than to Trump's. I disputed that idea months ago, in part due to the kind of voter that finds appealing the likes of Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump -- and historically, George Wallace and RFK, Sr. This m

The Iranian Opposition

Jake_Ellison
    By Jake_Ellison,
    The other thread, where we started discussing this, is becoming unbearable, so I decided to open a thread that follows the Iranian Revolution, where we can post anything notable about the demonstrators or the events in Tehran. I'll start with this, written by someone in Tehran:

Objectivism: my fall from reason??

Ogg_Vorbis
    By Ogg_Vorbis,
    Hello, Over the past 5 days I have lost my entire philosophical framework which was Objectivism, the philosophy of Ayn Rand. I have come to realize huge issues with the ethics, and now the rest is also starting to unravel. I have spent a great deal of time researching other philosophy, and I feel somewhat ashamed at how ignorant I was. I feel human again, it's hard to explain. I feel almost like I had abandoned myself. Trying to use reason to justify every desire is not only impossible but

Reblogged:Xenophobic Law Hurts Florida's Economy

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    About a year ago, Florida enacted a draconian anti-immigration measure that, as I put it, "conscript many otherwise productive Floridians for border patrol duty." Predictably, this is now damaging its economy:The article notes that this artificially-induced labor shortage is not just increasing produce prices: It's poised to damage the state's economy to the tune of $12.6 billion in added costs. The NPR piece correctly advocates immigration reform, but I have noted before that this should also

These Hours of Resonant Existence

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    These Hours of Resonant Existence

Reblogged:Golden Rice Banned Near Its Silver Anniversary

Gus Van Horn blog
    By Gus Van Horn blog,
    Over the weekend, I learned from science advocate Kevin Folta's X feed that Greenpeace has won a battle in its long-running crusade against golden rice. Folta points to an article about this crime against humanity in Reason magazine:In a 2007 blog post titled "What Ever Happened to 'Golden Rice'?," one can easily learn that this revolutionary invention was being lauded in 2000, and yet, seven years later, optimists thought it would take another six years or so before it would hit the market. In

Mathematics and Philosophy

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    At the entrance of Plato’s Academy was the inscription: LET NO ONE IGNORANT OF GEOMETRY ENTER HERE! I quite agree. No general epistemology having no competent epistemology of mathematics is a real competitor in general epistemology. Mathematical knowledge is crucial in the conceptual power of humans. These books are some of those I study in my quest for formulating a competent epistemology of mathematics, and some may be excellent for interest of some readers here.   THE JOY OF ABSTRAC

Physical Space

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    A transplanted issue.

Necessity and Form in Truths

Boydstun
    By Boydstun,
    Necessity and Form in Truths In this study, I firstly examine the Objectivist account of how Rand’s theory of concepts dissolves the customary distinction of truths into ones true in virtue of meaning and ones true in virtue of experience. Although that particular character of concepts in Rand’s mold of them does dissolve that wrong divide of truths—the analytic-synthetic divide—I advance an additional character of her theory, one more peculiar to hers, that also dissolves the A-S division,

Selfish Christians Citing Ayn Rand

monart
    By monart,
    Christians are many, Objectivists are few. But a very few Christians are friendly to Ayn Rand, studying and citing her work, along with Peikoff's. Are they the better or the worse Christians? Are they to be scoffed away as deluded walking contradictions and exploitive hypocrites, or be regarded with some serious respect and be shown how to go all the way?   Selfish Christians Citing Ayn Rand Apparently, not all Christians are altruistic. There are the very few who advocate rationa

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS