Objectivism Online Forum

Nas

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I'm a high school student in Washington State. I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged a few years ago, and they really didn't have a big impact on me (I think I was too young). I just finished rereading them, and they got me interested in philosophy in general. I'm spending the summer trying to define my philosophy. So far, I agree with Rand, but I'm trying to build my philosphy from the ground up (so I can be sure) and to convince myself.

Anyhow, Hi!

So far, I agree with Rand, but I'm trying to build my philosphy from the ground up (so I can be sure) and to convince myself.

That's the only way to do it right.

Take your sweet old time and check out Objectivism carefully. I did that and it took me about 8 years before I was convinced enough to call myself an Objectivist. It was -- and is -- worth it. I have been involved with Objectivism for 42 years now, and my husband Stephen has for even longer than that. It just keeps on getting better

Hi all,

I'm a high school student in Washington State.  I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged a few years ago, and they really didn't have a big impact on me (I think I was too young).  I just finished rereading them, and they got me interested in philosophy in general.  I'm spending the summer trying to define my philosophy.  So far, I agree with Rand, but I'm trying to build my philosphy from the ground up (so I can be sure) and to convince myself.

I'm impressed by any high school student who thinks well-enough as to want to build his "philosophy from the ground up!" As laudable a goal as that is, I personally think that you are either very lucky, or very wise, to have discovered the philosophy of Objectivism. Although we each have to do our own first-hand thinking, the benefit from the genius of Ayn Rand, in having paved the way, is of inestimable value.

Enjoy your studies and feel free to ask any questions, or ask for any clarifications, here on the forum.

Anyhow, Hi!

Hi, and welcome, NAS.

Hello Nas,

I discovered Ayn Rand in High school too. For a few years, I liked her, but kept searching for other possible answers: Bernard Shaw, Emerson, J.Krishnamurthy. Decided I was an objectivists and re-read the books a few times. Then in college, went "off" Rand for about a year and dabbled with others. That was good, because I ended up realizing how nutty most other philosophers are... yet, I had to discover it myself.

Ended up as a convinced objectivist. Then, got confused by the whole Libertairian thing. For someone who wanted to see an objectivist world overnight, the apparent "schisms" in the objectivist "movement": were disappointing. Got over that too.

The ride was great... many decades later I am glad it was that way.

Welcome to the ride.

Two, related questions.

What are the (I hesitate to use best) most influential philosophical works from an epistemological and metaphysical standpoint?

Second, what order would make the most sense for reading Objectivist nonfiction?

Two, related questions.

What are the (I hesitate to use best) most influential philosophical works from an epistemological and metaphysical standpoint?

Without question, Ayn Rand's Introduction To Objectivist Epistemology.

Second, what order would make the most sense for reading Objectivist nonfiction?

I do not think there is one order that would make more sense than another, independent of your particular values, interests, goals, etc. If there is some specific area of interest to you, then we can make specific suggestions. Objectivism is an integrated philosophy -- all the parts are interconnected -- so if you maintain an interest in the philosophy undoubtedly you will eventually get to all of them.

Which brings up another option for you in regard to the nonfiction. In my opinion there is nothing quite like reading Ayn Rand's ideas directly, but she developed the philosophy over a period of time, so those ideas are splintered between different sources. Leonard Peikoff wrote a book, Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand, which is the only significant sytematized presentation of her philosophy. What Peikoff has done is to structure the ideas of Objectivism in a hierarchical manner so that each section is built upon the previous foundation. So, if rather than just following your specific interests, if you find the idea of a systemized presentation of the philosophy to be appealing, you can do no better than this book by Peikoff.

I'm a high school student in Washington State.  I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged a few years ago, and they really didn't have a big impact on me (I think I was too young).  I just finished rereading them, and they got me interested in philosophy in general.  I'm spending the summer trying to define my philosophy.  So far, I agree with Rand, but I'm trying to build my philosphy from the ground up (so I can be sure) and to convince myself.

As an original 206er I greet you. There is, as Stephen says, no question that Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology is Rand's greatest work in epistemology but furthermore I would say in any field of philosophy. It is also her most difficult: do not read it expecting to get it on the first pass. Do read it a number of times, carefully and slowly.

Since what I said could sound marginally unexciting, I would recommend one of two works. First, I suggest Virtue of Selfishness as an easily readable statement of a specific very important point about Objecticist ethics (why you are the proper arbitrer of what it of value to your life). It is good preparation for the kind of mental engagement that is needed for ITOE. Second, I suggest Philosophy: Who Needs It as a broader application of Objectivism. This is, of course, just pedagogically motivated guesswork recommendations without knowing anything specific about your interest and abilities.

Hi all,

Anyhow, Hi!

Hi! I'm a Washington Sate high school student, too! Around what area do you live? I live in Fort Lewis (my father is in the military), which is a several miles south of Tacoma. I read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged in the 10th grade (quite an early start for me!) and afterwards had to literally rebuild most of my philosophy (and I'm still in the process). I'm not your typical person-turned-objectivist whose ideas were simply confirmed, verified and clarified by Ayn Rand. I once held ideas contrary to many of the most fundamental principles of Objectivism. But my reason could not resist it, and it won me over. :P

Other than the fact that i was once christian (oh god i was the catholic type of christian too), I had basically had held very similar beliefs to Objectivism and Rand confirmed those beliefs and convictions and helped me rid myself of religion. I read Rand in 9th grade. And I loved it. It motivated me to study Econ. and Philosophy. It took me a while to "practice what i preach" but I think I am much better off now than i was as a catholic. That wasnt fun. In fact, in catholicism I think fun is the definition of sin.

NAS - I can say with a large degree of confidence that you are about to experience an intellectual orgasm that puts all hitherto experiences to shame, in regards to sheer pleasure and revelation.

I can say that because I recently underwent the same thing.

I, like you, read Rand when I was too young (I believe that I was thirteen when I first read The Fountainhead) to realize the validity and import of her ideas. I, again like you, read them again and began to comprehend the startling clarity and truth of her thoughts.. and again again like you, decided that I needed to formulate my own philosophy, and chose Rand's publications to be the catalyst for my thoughts.

So far, other than a few stumbling steps (which I have corrected), I have found no contradictions between her conclusions and mine. :lol:

If you have any questions or comments, speak - and most importantly, think. Life's going to be great for you in the next few years. :lol: I know that, for the last year and a half, I've been in an almost constant state of orgasmic euphoria from discovering what I've discovered. :P

Now I'm curious - is your screenname referring to the rapper Nas?

EDIT: the book that they are referring to (OPAR) is pictured here, along with my beautiful pants:

BookPhone.jpg

:D